Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two me or not two me

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    Is an infinite universe more likely to insure autonomy, or demand eventual repetition of its components?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2
    Since the infinite is unlimited it is thus both indefinable and unknowable. Now, since some aspects of the universe can be known (e.g., you know self) the concept "infinity" does not apply to the universe as a whole.

4. Jun 23, 2006 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Well, according to Democritus, in an infinite universe every possible arrangement of atoms must be infinite realized. That is, there are an infinite number of people somewhere identical to you, to me, and objects identical to every other physically possible object.

Of course, this requires an infinity of matter, not just an infinity of space. If we inject infinite time and assume that the universe always has been and always will be changing, however, we can probably conclude that every possible form will be realized an infinite number of times. No one identical to you might exist today, but at some point in the past or future an identical person either did exist or will exist.

Of course, we know our universe to be neither materially nor temporally infinite, so this is all pretty academic.

5. Jun 27, 2006 #4
    I guess that depends on how one defines "our universe". It is possible that the universe (defined as not just everything within our event horizon, but including everything outside that event horizon as well) is materially infinite.

Best Regards

6. Jun 27, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

True. I'm taking universe to just mean this one, within the limit of what we can reach through normal modes of space travel (given enough time and energy to do so, of course). If we assume there to be an infinite number of other universes, then maybe Democritus was right and there are also an infinite number of Loren Booda's out there posing this same question.

7. Jun 27, 2006 #6
    Contemplate carefully whether the following is possible:

If complexity increases to infinity, as space volume approaches zero, faster than complexity increases to infinity, as space volume approaches infinity, then this infinite space would less likely replicate its components than otherwise.

This limiting may obey the converse, however, as quanta seem to populate the universe with identical particles.

8. Jun 28, 2006 #7
    Is space volume supposed to be decreasing to zero or increasing to infinity? :uhh:

How does one measure complexity?

Not at all identical. No two particles have the same wavefunction.

Best Regards

9. Jun 28, 2006 #8
    I have read that one may consider all electrons to be identical, i. e., the same electron. In that regard, considered individually, all electrons share the same quantum numbers and the same wavefunction. In any case, the sum of all particle wavefunctions, being linear, is equal to their whole wavefunction, and any one can be isolated (at least mathematically) from the rest to consider its identity. I guess that's what this original speculation purports.

I am asserting that since there exist exact copies of physical entities in the subatomic universe, that at the microscopic level complexity actually increases slower than on a macroscopic scale. The limits I mentioned refer to observation of complexity approaching zero or infinite volume.

Complexity in my perspective is much like entropy. I know of no quantitative way to measure it, except perhaps as a density of differing states.

10. Jul 10, 2006 #9
    Why have more than one universe? A multiverse would be how many universes? An infinity of finite universes? A finitity of infinite universes? An infinity of infinite universes?

One infinite universe will do. Why should the universe have a beginning or end? What was before and what will be after? Another universe ad infinitum?

Infinity is definable. It doesn't actually happen. With no beggining (or end), how can something be said to happen? It appears to happen from our viewpoint inside of it, but that's it. The universe doesn't actually happen. But in every other "sense" it does. The universe is always in a state of "will happen" (potential), as time appears to move forward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?