Two member a-frame analysis

In summary, the design uses a simple 'inverted v' frame with 1.22 m long members and a UDL of 6580 N/m acting downward at a 5 degree angle. The footings are bolted firmly to the horizontal. The goal is to analyze and confirm that the members will not buckle or fail due to bending. The components of the load can be resolved into those perpendicular and along the member, with the perpendicular component causing bending and the component along the member length causing buckling. However, more advanced and accurate analysis may be needed and any help would be appreciated.
Fugro
Hi,

I have a design using a simple 'inverted v' frame . Each member is 1.22 m long and sees a UDL on it, acting downward(6580 N/m). The angle between the members and the horizontal is 5 degrees. and both footings are bolted firmly to the horizontal.

I wish to analyse and confirm that the members will not buckle or fail due to bending.

Can I resolve the components of the load (6580*1.22 = 8030N) into those perpendicular to the members and those along the member, and assume that it is the component perpendicular to the member causing bending, and the component along the members length which will cause buckling?

This seems all way to easy - i am sure that some forum people may be able to help me do a more advanced and accurate analysis. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• rough dims.jpg
    rough dims.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 460
Engineering news on Phys.org
Fugro said:
Can I resolve the components of the load into those perpendicular to the member and those along the member, and assume it is the component perpendicular to the member causing bending, and the component along the member length that will cause buckling?
Yes.

1. What is Two Member A-Frame Analysis?

Two Member A-Frame Analysis is a structural analysis method used to determine the forces and stresses in a two member A-frame structure. It is commonly used in civil engineering and architecture to design and optimize the structural integrity of buildings and other structures.

2. How does Two Member A-Frame Analysis work?

This analysis method uses equations and principles of statics to calculate the forces and stresses acting on the two members of an A-frame structure. It takes into account the geometry, materials, and loading conditions to determine the internal forces and deformations of the structure.

3. What are the assumptions made in Two Member A-Frame Analysis?

Two Member A-Frame Analysis assumes that the structure is in equilibrium, the members are rigid and connected with idealized pin or roller supports, and the material properties are linearly elastic. It also assumes that the loading is applied at the joints and does not cause any bending in the members.

4. What are the advantages of using Two Member A-Frame Analysis?

Two Member A-Frame Analysis allows for the quick and efficient design of A-frame structures by providing accurate and reliable results. It also helps identify potential problem areas and allows for optimization of the structure to reduce material and construction costs.

5. What are the limitations of Two Member A-Frame Analysis?

Two Member A-Frame Analysis is limited to simple A-frame structures and may not be applicable to more complex or irregularly shaped structures. It also does not take into account the effects of dynamic loading or structural imperfections, which may affect the actual performance of the structure.