Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two minds?

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    Two minds???

Is it possible for a person to have two minds?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2
    I suppose someone with multiple personality disorder (dissociative identity disorder) has multiple points of view on reality, and since one personality isn't aware of the cognitive processes of the others, I suppose they would be like separate minds.
  4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    Look up commisurotomy patients, those who have had their corpus collosum severed surgically.
  5. Oct 19, 2004 #4
    If I say YES!
    Can you anybody prove or disprove it?

(How one can make love with two or more without more minds ;) )
  6. Oct 19, 2004 #5
    Don't expect any empirical data to prove two minds are possible.

Two personalities perhaps. Two minds -- never.

One must first understand what a mind is, and whether it exists, to understand whether two minds are possible.
  7. Oct 20, 2004 #6
    I do have multiple sets of thoughts at any particular instance.

what is the definition of mind?
    is it in the brain?
    if it's in the brain, what will happen when one has a brain transplant?

too much on my mind..i'm going insane!
  8. Nov 4, 2004 #7
    Are you certain they are COMPLETELY unaware of the cognitive processes of each other?

Thanks, Babsyco.
  9. Nov 8, 2004 #8
    When you're deciding on something but don't know what to pick, people do tend to say you're in two minds.

Whether this has anything to do with your question and whether or not it can be helpful, I don't know but it's all that came to mind, no pun intended.
  10. Nov 9, 2004 #9
    well I'm currently working at a psychiatric hospital and i can tell there are a lot of minds there!

Well these patients have conversations, fights and whatever with themselves.
    I would call this having two minds, but at the same time I see it as one mind.
    Maybe sub-minds in one larger mind is the way to go then.

But then again where does the line get crossed to actually have two separate minds? hmm this seems like only a literal defining thing...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?