Calculating Number of Images in Mirrors

In summary, an angle between two mirrors will result in the formation of a certain number of images, depending on the angle.
gazepdapi1
I need some help guys with this one. Say you have two mirrors like in the image below, with some angle phi between them. The question is how many images would be formed if the angle between them changed to 20, 30, 40, 60, 90, or 0 degress. Is there some sort of equation that will give you this?
thanks a lot.
nertil1http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledwy0.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
There is no observer to observe any images in that pic. :confused:

Yeah sorry, imagine there is an observer looking at the vertical mirror, although I don't think it would matter because the same amount of images would be formed on each mirror, I think.
thanks

The number of images is (360/angle -1). When the result is an integer, all is OK. When it is no the case (say, 3.65) it means that some images are "cut" by the junction between the mirrors and that what you see depends on the position of the observer.

thanks a lot man but can you show me how you derived that formula please?

Last edited:
Draw the image of each mirror reflected on the other one. Draw the image of the mirror and their images reflected by the mirrors and their images. Repeat this until you fill the plan.
You will see the pan divided in angles equal to the angle between mirrors. If the angle does not divide 360° exactly, there will be "a problem" in the opposite side to the middle of the mirrors.
Now draw an object between the mirrors rather near one of them. A small arrow perpendicular to the near mirror will do.
Draw the images of the arrow as reflected in each mirror. Draw the reflected images of all the arrows (real and images) in all the mirrors. Count the images.
Do this for angle = 180° (equal to a single mirror), 90°, 60°, 45°, etc. count each time. Extrapolate.
But, better that all this, take two mirrors and watch what you see as the angle changes.

As a novice, I yet ponder if the photon intensity of the initial and subsequent reflections largely determine the number of theorectically detectable reflections within a given mirrored angle set.

When there are a lot of photons there is no need to talk about them. They behave as a whole.

Current mirrors do not reflect 100% of the received light. They only reflect about 92-94%.
Then after several reflections, images dim. Moreover, in back-silvered mirrors, light must traverse twice the front glass. After several reflections, you began to see the images get greener and greener. You can see this, locking at the reflections of two mirrors forming a small angle.

Physicist know how to make mirrors that reflect almost 100% of the light. They are built as a super sandwich of dielectrics of controlled thickness. They are called "dielectric mirrors".

1. How do you calculate the number of images in mirrors?

The number of images in mirrors can be calculated using the formula n = (360/θ) - 1, where n is the number of images and θ is the angle of inclination of the mirror.

2. What is the angle of inclination of the mirror?

The angle of inclination of the mirror is the angle formed by the incident ray and the normal to the mirror surface at the point of incidence.

3. Can the number of images in a mirror be negative?

No, the number of images in a mirror cannot be negative. It is always a positive integer or zero.

4. How do you count the number of images in a concave mirror?

To count the number of images in a concave mirror, you can use the same formula as mentioned above. However, for a concave mirror, the angle of inclination can be greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for n. In such cases, the absolute value of n should be taken as the number of images.

5. Can there be an infinite number of images in a mirror?

Yes, in theory, there can be an infinite number of images in a mirror. However, in practical situations, due to the limitations of the human eye and the intensity of light, only a certain number of images may be visible.