1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two momentum questions

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 72 kg man jumps
    a) If the jump results in an upward speed of 2.1 m/s, what additional upward force does the floor exert, if the person pushes the ground for 0.36 s?

2. Relevant equations
    F= mv/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    F_net = Impule/t

F_byFloor - W = F_net

f_byFloor = F_net + W
    = (mv_f / t) + mg
    = m ((v_f / t)+g)
    = 1126.32 N

But, the answer in the book is 420 N, and it just ignored Weight of the person.
    If my Force equation (F_byFloor - W = F_net) is right?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bee lands on one end of a floating 4.75 g Popsicle stick. After sitting at rest for a moment, it runs towards the other end with a speed of 3.80 cm/s relative to still water. The stick moves in the opposite direction at 0.12 cm/s relative to the still water. What is the mass of bee?

2. Relevant equations

mv_b + Mv_popsicle = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused about the velocities. Like, How the results would be changed if I use bee velocity relative to Popsicle. And, do I need to have velocities of both objects relative to some stationary thing in order to solve this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Question 1) asks for 'additional upward force', not 'total upward force' implying you should ignore the weight. For 2) a consequence of the conservation of momentum is that the center of mass of SYSTEM doesn't accelerate unless acted upon by a force from OUTSIDE of the system. Consider the bee and the popsicle stick as a system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?