Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two monitors, one machine

1. Mar 24, 2006 #1
    I'm wanting to have two monitors run from the same machine, mostly because I hate having to move from my couch to my desk, back and forth. And when I do, i have to unplug the monitor I have at my couch, and replug the monitor at my desk. Are there adapters such as screen spliters, maybe? I don't see why there wouldn't be.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Most newer video cards natively support dual-monitor or many-monitors. It's fairly common now-a-days. I'm not sure what the name of the cable you get is though... i'm sure if you search for a SVGA splitter or something along those lines, you can find them.

4. Mar 24, 2006 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You either need a graphics card with dual vga heads or get the Matrox DualHead2Go. If you don't have an expense video card and don't need high end graphics it would probably be cheapers to get a new video card with the dual vga heads for less then $100. The DualHead2Go is $150.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm

5. Mar 24, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can probably use a KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switch for your purpose.

- Warren

6. Mar 24, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

But aren't those for multiple computers, single-monitor/keyboard/mouse?

7. Mar 24, 2006 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

chroot, a KVM won't allow you to stretch your desktop across both monitors. It will only allow you to pick which monitor gets the signal.

8. Mar 24, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

dduardo,

That seems to be exactly what the OP is asking for. He doesn't want a huge desktop spanning two monitors. He wants to be able to use the same computer from either of two workstations across the room from each other.

- Warren

9. Mar 24, 2006 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many KVMs have several inputs and several outputs, and can operate as a crossbar switch, connecting any input to any output.

- Warren

10. Mar 24, 2006 #9
    Either one, kvm or vga splitter, would do I think. I'll just do some searching and see what's not so expensive. Thanks for the replies.

11. Mar 24, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A VGA splitter is very cheap. If you're already using a wireless mouse and keyboard, you might just have to move those around. You can also consider plugging two USB keyboards and two USB mice into your computer simultaneously, then using whichever you prefer at the time.

- Warren

12. Mar 24, 2006 #11
    I already use two keyboards and two mice simultaneously. The first pair using the original keyboard and mouse plugs. The second pair using a single USB adapter. My extenders are like 10 feet long lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?