Momentum Conservation for Two Moving Charges

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, Daniel is arguing that moving charges will continue to move faster and faster until they come into contact. Although the force between the charges is initially directed in the wrong direction, it eventually propagates and they will come into contact.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Here's something that I've been thinking about a while and haven't found a good answer to:
Lets say that there're two charges on the x-axis separated by a certain distance and they're moving upwards along the y-axis. Let's look at charge A (on the right side), when it's at height y2 it's actually feeling the force of charge B from the retarded position y1 which is under y2 because it takes time for the E field of B to get to A(the distance between y1 and y2 is proportional to the distance that light goes in the time that it takes the charge to go from y1 to y2).
The force on A at y2 from the charge B at y1 is up and to the right because the field goes out radially from the position of the charge. By the same argument, the force on B from A is up and to the left. so it looks like the charges, one given a little initial speed, will just keep on going faster and faster until the magnetic force pulls them together and the distance between them is 0. so in the end the speed along the y-axis will be bigger than in the beginning. how is momentum conserved?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your argument has used the correct field of a moving charge.

Isn't the field of the moving charge the same as a charge at rest just with a stronger field on the sides than in the direction of motion?

And the direction of the field lines?

they are still radial just they're more "bunched up" on the sides than in the direction of motion - but the important thing for the argument is that they spread out - they don't have to be strictly radial. at least i don't think so?
what do you think that the answer is?
And i thought of another strange thing, it can't be that moving charges apply forces to each other in the direction of motion because it's obvious that in a frame where the charges are at rest there won't be a force in that direction!
so now I'm even more confused.

daniel_i_l said:
Isn't the field of the moving charge the same as a charge at rest just with a stronger field on the sides than in the direction of motion?

Isn't the electromagnetic force [itex]E + v \times B[/itex]? So the moving charge creates additional force in a direction perpendicular to the direction of motion rather than all directions perpendicular to the direction of motion. That particular direction is "selected" by the magnetic field at the given point.

daniel_i_l said:
...when it's at height y2 it's actually feeling the force of charge B from the retarded position y1 which is under y2 ...

daniel_i_l said:
... it's obvious that in a frame where the charges are at rest there won't be a force in that direction!...

What if I said the field of a moving charge actually points in the direction of where the charge is "now" expected to be?

Daniel,

Absolutely speaking in a Maxwellian Basis:
F> = q E>+ q v> x B> + Fself> , where Fself> is a drag force on the moving charge that depends upon the acceleration vector.

If we are talking about description and understanding, then I can say:
This can be solved in the frame of the two charges, if they were initially moving with the same velocity and in the same line perp to the velocity vector.

Another way: As long as speeds are small rationed to c, then they at last be apart (assumed to be equal in magnitude and sign), due to the work done by the initial potential force. Magnetic field is very small with respect to electric field at that case.

You are right:a charge is being affect through force of the electromagnetic field at that place at that time, which must have transmitted through speed of light.

Yours,
Amr Morsi.

daniel_i_l said:
how is momentum conserved?

I think the description of the problem is correct. Most of the anwers were taking de Lorentz force for granted... [tex]
\vec F = q (\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B ) [/tex].
Your problem is that you are considering momentum to be just [tex] m \vec v [/tex].
Remember that the EM field carries momentum as well... ;)

Last edited:
You have to use the Lienard-Wiechert fields for the force between two moving charges. Then, when they start to accelerate, they will radiate.
The problem you described is so complicated, it has not been done yet.
Try it for a PhD thesis if you're an optimist.
The initial motion of the particles can be found before the acceleration must be considered, or if they a kept at constant velocities.

1. What is momentum conservation for two moving charges?

Momentum conservation for two moving charges is a physical law that states that in a system of two interacting charged particles, the total momentum of the system remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on the system.

2. How does momentum conservation apply to two moving charges?

According to the law of momentum conservation, the total momentum of a system of interacting charged particles remains constant. This means that the momentum of one particle may change, but the change will be compensated by an equal and opposite change in the momentum of the other particle, resulting in a constant total momentum for the system.

3. What is the equation for calculating momentum conservation for two moving charges?

The equation for momentum conservation for two moving charges is:
Σpinitial = Σpfinal
where Σp represents the total momentum of the system, initial refers to the initial state of the system, and final refers to the final state of the system.

4. Can momentum be transferred between two moving charges?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between two moving charges in a system. When two charged particles interact, they can exert forces on each other that result in a transfer of momentum. However, the total momentum of the system will remain constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum conservation for two moving charges?

One example of momentum conservation for two moving charges is in the process of particle acceleration in a particle accelerator. The charged particles in the accelerator interact and exchange momentum, but the total momentum of the system remains constant. Another example is the collision of two charged particles, such as in the formation of cosmic rays in space.