Two moving-coil galvanometers

In summary, the conversation discusses the components and operation of a moving-coil galvanometer. The torque on the coil is derived using the expression for the force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field, and the instrument can be calibrated with a linear scale using a torsion wire with a small torsion constant. To increase current sensitivity, the field of flux density, number of turns, and coil area must be large while the torsion constant must be small. When connected to a battery, the ratio of deflections for two galvanometers with different coils is 1.083 : 1.
moenste

Homework Statement

(a) A moving-coil galvanometer consists of a rectangular coil of N turns each of area A suspended in a radial magnetic field of flux density B. Derive an expression for the torque on the coil when a current I passes through it. (You may assume the expression for the force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field.)

(b) If the coil is suspended by a torsion wire for which the couple per unit twist is C, show that the instrumet will have a linear scale.

(c) How may the current sensitivity of the instrument be made as large as possible? What practical considerations limit the current sensitivity?

(d) Two galvanometers, which are otherwise identical, are fitted with different coils. One has a coil of 50 turns and a resistance of 10 ohms while the other has 500 turns and a resistance of 600 ohms. What is the ratio of the deflections when each is connected in turn to a cell of EMF 2.5 V and internal resistance 50 ohms?

Answers: 1.08 : 1.

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) T = B I A N, where T = torque, B = field of flux density, I = current, N = number of turns.

(b) T = C θ, where C is the torsion constant of the suspension. B I A N = C θ → θ = B I A N / C. The deflection of the coil, θ, is proportional to the current through it and therefore the instrument can be calibrated with a linear scale.

(c) Current sensitivity SI = θ / I and SI = B A N / C. So, to have large current sensitivity B, A and N must be large and C must be small.
  • B must be large. Achieved by using a narrow air gap and a strong permanent magnet, also the instrument should is not be influenced by external magnetic fields like the Earth field.
  • N must be large. There is an upper limit to N because the coil must be narrow enough to fit in the air gap.
  • A must be large. There is an upper limit to A because it must not be so large that the instrument is unwieldy.
  • C must be small. Weak suspension is required, but not too weak, because it would cause the coil to swing about its equilibrium position for long time.
(d) (B I1 A N1 / C) * (C / B I2 A N2) = I1 N1 / I2 N2.

I1 = V / (r + R1) = 2.5 / (50 + 10) = 0.042 A.
I2 = V / (r + R2) = 2.5 / (50 + 600) = 3.8 * 10-3 A.

I1 N1 / I2 N2 = (0.042 * 50) / [(3.8 * 10-3) * 500] = 1.083.

So, 1.083 : 1.

---

Are there any mistakes here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a different answer for (d) : I don't think you should add the turns to the internal resistances - just use the internal r's for the current.

Likes moenste
andrevdh said:
I get a different answer for (d) : I don't think you should add the turns to the internal resistances - just use the internal r's for the current.
We'll get I = V / r = 2.5 / 50 = 0.05 A.

I N1 / I N2 = (0.05 * 50) / (0.05 * 500) = 50 / 500 = 0.1.

Don't quite see how it fits the answer 1.08 : 1...

? in your post the one is 10 ohm and the other 600 ohm ?

Likes moenste
Aaah, sorry I forgot to add the internal resistance of the cell!

Likes moenste
andrevdh said:
? in your post the one is 10 ohm and the other 600 ohm ?
andrevdh said:
Aaah, sorry I forgot to add the internal resistance of the cell!
I just re-calculated (my calculations) and still got the same answer.

I assumed that the galvanometers and the battery are each connected in series, so I summed the resistance and calculated each current for the two situations.

moenste said:
One has a coil of 50 turns and a resistance of 10 ohms while the other has 500 turns and a resistance of 600 ohms. What is the ratio of the deflections when each is connected in turn to a cell of EMF 2.5 V and internal resistance 50 ohms?
Galvanometer 1: N1 = 50 turns, R1 = 10 Ω.
Galvanometer 2: N2 = 500 turns, R2 = 600 Ω.
Battery 1: E1 = 2.5 V, r1 = 50 Ω.
Battery 2: E2 = 2.5 V, r2 = 50 Ω.

Yes, you are (still) right :smile: 65/60

Likes moenste

1. What is a moving-coil galvanometer?

A moving-coil galvanometer is a type of instrument used to measure small electric currents. It consists of a coil of wire suspended between the poles of a permanent magnet. When an electric current flows through the coil, it experiences a force and deflects, indicating the strength of the current.

2. How does a moving-coil galvanometer work?

The coil of wire in a moving-coil galvanometer is connected to a thin pointer which moves over a calibrated scale. When an electric current passes through the coil, it generates a magnetic field which interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing the coil to rotate. The rotation is proportional to the strength of the current, allowing for accurate measurement.

3. What are the advantages of using a moving-coil galvanometer?

Moving-coil galvanometers are highly sensitive and accurate, making them ideal for measuring small electric currents. They also have a linear response, meaning the deflection is directly proportional to the current. They are also durable and have a long lifespan.

4. How is a moving-coil galvanometer used in scientific research?

Moving-coil galvanometers are commonly used in scientific research to measure small currents in experiments and to detect weak electrical signals. They are also used in electronic and electrical testing and calibration, as well as in various types of laboratory equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to using a moving-coil galvanometer?

One limitation of moving-coil galvanometers is their sensitivity to external magnetic fields, which can cause inaccuracies in the measurements. They also have a limited range of measurement, typically only able to measure currents up to a few milliamperes.