Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two mules with Down's syndrome

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

OK, i probably know the answer to this. Mules have 63 chromosomes, and are sterile. Is this BECAUSE they have 63 chromosomes?? If so, if you had two mules with Down's syndrome (so they have 64 chromosomes) would they be able to successfully breed?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2
    Down syndrome is caused by a none disjunction at one gene not the entire chromosome.

4. Mar 22, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

I thought it was an entire copy of another chromosome, which is why it was called sticky chromosome syndrome....
  5. Mar 22, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nautica you are wrong, is the non-disjunction of entire chromosome. The other name for down syndrom is trisomie 21.

Anyway Jimmy, a mule with down syndrom would probaly still be infertile because the excess chromsome migth not be the one missing. Therefore you get a chromosome in triplicate and one in single.
  6. Mar 22, 2004 #5
    Yes, I just looked it up.

thanks, nautica
  7. Mar 22, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

thanx that was the answer i was expecting anyway, just had a suprise, i thought about something (if only briefly) :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?