Solving for Velocity After Two Objects Collide

• Thread starter EthanVandals
  • Start date
In summary, when a 5kg mass moving at 20m/s collides with a stationary 10kg mass and comes to rest, the 10kg mass will also be moving at a velocity of 20m/s due to the conservation of momentum. The transfer of energy does not affect the velocity of the 10kg mass, only the momentum does.
EthanVandals

Homework Statement

A 5kg mass moving at 20m/s collides with a stationary 10kg mass. If the 5kg mass comes to rest, how fast will the 10kg mass be moving?

M1 = 5kg
M2 = 10kg
V1 = 20m/s

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly confident in this, and that's what scares me. Can it really be so simple as a transference of energy? The 5kg mass has KE of approximately 1,000J. When it hits the other mass, the kinetic energy of the 10kg block would also be 1,000J. Then to find the velocity, I would take those 1,000J, divide them by 10, and multiply by 2, giving me 200, then I'd take the square root of that, giving me a new velocity of 14.14m/s...Is it possible I got this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
EthanVandals said:
Can it really be so simple as a transference of energy?
No. What is always conserved in a collision? Hint: It is not energy.

kuruman said:
No. What is always conserved in a collision? Hint: It is not energy.
My first guess would be momentum, but I am not quite sure how that would come into play here...Unless you're saying that it would also be moving at 20m/s...

EthanVandals said:
My first guess would be momentum, ...
No need to guess. Momentum is always conserved in a collision. Energy may or may not be conserved.
EthanVandals said:
Unless you're saying that it would also be moving at 20m/s...
What do you think is "it" that should also be moving at 20 m/s?

Momentum conservation simply means that if you add all the momenta before the collision to get pbefore and then add all the momenta after the collision to get pafter, then pbefore = pafter.

Apply this simple idea here.

kuruman said:
No need to guess. Momentum is always conserved in a collision. Energy may or may not be conserved.

What do you think is "it" that should also be moving at 20 m/s?

Momentum conservation simply means that if you add all the momenta before the collision to get pbefore and then add all the momenta after the collision to get pafter, then pbefore = pafter.

Apply this simple idea here.
Then the second box (the 10kg one) based on the before and after equaling each other should also move at 20m/s when it is hit by the smaller mass?

EthanVandals said:
Then the second box (the 10kg one) based on the before and after equaling each other should also move at 20m/s when it is hit by the smaller mass?
I don't see why you're guessing. Why not compute the value of the momentum and check?

What is the formula for solving for velocity after two objects collide?

The formula for solving for velocity after two objects collide is v = (m1u1 + m2u2) / (m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

What are the units for velocity in the equation?

The units for velocity in the equation are meters per second (m/s).

Can the equation be used for both elastic and inelastic collisions?

Yes, the equation can be used for both elastic and inelastic collisions. In elastic collisions, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in inelastic collisions, only momentum is conserved.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy, while in inelastic collisions, some energy is lost and the objects may stick together or deform upon impact.

What other factors may affect the final velocity in a collision?

The final velocity in a collision may also be affected by friction, air resistance, and the angle of impact between the two objects.