1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Offset Slits

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    I'm having trouble getting started with this problem. I know the interference formulas and how it works, but I'm having trouble determining the phase difference (if B and C were in phase i could do it easily, but they aren't, how do I find out the phase they are initially apart?)
    |----------|------------|
    |----------B------------|
    |----------C------------|
    A----------|------------O
    |<---x1-->|<-----x2--->|

Consider the above setup, not drawn to scale.

Light of wavelength λ= 475 nm is shined at normal incidence to the first screen with slit A.
    The second screen, x1 = 0.7 meters behind the first screen, has two slits, B and C .
    The third screen is x2 = 1.5 meters behind the second screen. It has slit O, which is level with slit A. A lightmeter measures the light intensity at the slit O.

When light is sent through slit A and measured at the slit O with either slit B or slit C open one slit at a time, the intensity at the point O is the same: I0 = 0.5 W/m2. (The slit widths can always be adjusted so that this is true, but for this problem you can/should ignore the width of all slits.)

Slit B is at height y1 = 2 mm above slit A.

Slit C is at height y2 = 1 mm above slit A.

Note that the drawing is not drawn to scale.

a) What is the light intensity measured at the point O when both slits B and C are open?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2
    For a, you have to find the path difference between ABO and ACO. This is 3.142851 E-6. Plug this into phi = 2pi (delta) / lambda. This gets you 41.572874. Now you should have everything you need to solve I = 4(I1) cos^2 (phi/2).

B should be the same, because you're increasing both ABO and ACO by the same amount, therefore not changing the path difference.

...this is not from me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?