1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two options I have with my masters? please help

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am about to finish my master in mathematics and

I was wondering if you give me some advice about the problem I face.

Actually I ve been thinking of what I am going to do with my master degree and I have come

up with two options so far:

1- get a job in a university ( this is what I want to be honest) and then get my PhD.

If I do not get a job in a college then I will

2- try to start up a business like:

an office to do some maths papers ( publications for science papers) and get a group to

work together to make up a team. In addition to the (2nd option) the office would be like

an engineering that do some projects ( like build houses and so on).

Do you think that would possible and If I need to publish papers do i need to be a lecturer or

do i have to work with a college?

I hope this was clear enough to help me with my future.

Your advice and help would be highly appreciated .

thanks for your time,

Regards,

Yaya

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You'll likely need a better business model than what you've stated in number 2. You won't make money by publishing academic papers. You could make money building houses, but you'll need some substantial startup capital.

If you really want to do a PhD, remember that most programs provide a stipend for their PhD students to live on. It's not a lot, but it's enough to get you through school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook