How Do You Calculate Satellite Travel Times and Orbits?

• Thread starter haxxorboi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary: The problem is that the period of the orbit is 12 hours and the radius of the orbit is how far away from the earth? I think it's supposed to be in meters but I can't be sure. Again, any help would be much appreciated.
haxxorboi

Homework Statement

A. NASA sends a satellite to another planet by placing the satellite in a Keplerian orbit such that the perihelion is at the radius of the Earth's orbit (1 AU) and the aphelion is at the radius of the planet's orbit. The gravitational effects may be neglected. Suppose a new planet were to appear in a circular orbit of radius 7.30 AU around the Sun. Calculate the time it would take a NASA satellite to travel from Earth to this planet. Express the result in years.

B. A Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite is placed in a high circular orbit around the earth. The period of revolution is 12 hours. Calculate the radius r of the orbit.

Homework Equations

A. Kepler's third law

B. T^2=(4*pi^2*r^3)/GM

The Attempt at a Solution

A.
1^2 yr x^2 yr
------- = --------
1^3 au 7.03^3 au

X would be 18.639 years but this seems to be incorrect.

B. I think T needs to be in seconds as that's what the other units are in. Thus:
43200^2=(4*pi^2*x^3)/(6.674E-11*5.9742E24) Thus, X=2.6613E7 m but again no luck.
Any help on either would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
"SEMI" -major axis of this orbit is HOW far?

by the way, they only want the trip time OUT, not the entire orbit time.

You'll have to bear with me because I'm not too great with these types of problems. I have a problem conceptualizing them or something. Anyways...

I got the satellite-to-planet one. That was really stupid (wasn't halving it at the end and was using 7.3/2 instead of 8.3/2. Final answer came out to be 4.277 AU.

Thank you very much for the help on that one.

Now for the other one which I'm sure I'm just being stupid about again. It seems like it should be really easy with how short it is but I'm just not able to understand what I'm messing up.

1. What is a two orbiting body problem?

A two orbiting body problem is a fundamental problem in classical mechanics that involves the study of the motion of two objects, such as planets, satellites, or stars, that are orbiting around each other under the influence of mutual gravitational forces.

2. What are the two types of two orbiting body problems?

The two types of two orbiting body problems are the circular orbit problem and the elliptical orbit problem. In the circular orbit problem, the two bodies have a circular orbit around each other, whereas in the elliptical orbit problem, the orbit is elliptical with the two bodies at the foci of the ellipse.

3. How do you solve a two orbiting body problem?

To solve a two orbiting body problem, we use Newton's laws of motion and Newton's law of universal gravitation to calculate the positions and velocities of the two bodies at any given time. This can be done analytically or numerically using computer simulations.

4. What is the significance of solving a two orbiting body problem?

Solving a two orbiting body problem helps us understand the dynamics of celestial objects and is essential in predicting their future movements. It also has practical applications in space exploration, satellite orbit calculations, and astronomical observations.

5. Are there any real-world examples of two orbiting body problems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of two orbiting body problems, including the motion of planets around the sun, moons orbiting around their host planets, and binary star systems. The famous example of the Earth-Moon system is also a two orbiting body problem.