1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Oscillator Frequencies on the moon

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    Two different simple harmonic oscillators have the same natural frequency (f=2.80 Hz) when they are on the surface of the Earth. The first oscillator is a vertical spring and mass, the second is a pendulum. If both systems are moved to the surface of the moon (g=1.67 m/s2), what is the new frequency of the vertical spring and mass?

Calculate the new frequency of the pendulum. ?

This is the question. For it i just used the frequency to find the period, i then used this to find the length of the pendulum, i think solved with the new g, to find the period, and then solved back to find the new frequency, i tried this several times, and i cannot seem to get to the new frequency. I have tried similar things with the spring and mass, but i cannot find the right equations to find it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How, exactly, do the frequencies of the two oscillators depend on g? If you know that then the problem reduces to ratios and proportions.
  4. Nov 24, 2004 #3
    Yes but it's not giving me the right answer, is there another way to go about this problem?
  5. Nov 24, 2004 #4
    For the spring and mass, the frequency is independent of the value of g. So, it remains the same.

And for the pendulum, instead of doing this long calculation, just see that the frequency is directly proportional to the square root of the value of g.

Hope that helps!

6. Nov 24, 2004 #5
    thanks, it would have helped, but i finally figured it out myself :) you are correct sir in your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?