What is the force direction on a left wire in a parallel current setup?

In summary, the direction of the force on the left wire in this scenario can be determined using the right-hand rule, which takes into account the direction of current.
ivanwho49

Homework Statement

Two current carrying wires run parallel. The bottom wire creates a magnetic field at a point on the top wire. What direction is the force on the left wire?

--------->------
--------->------

Homework Equations

I'm assuming there's no equation, just the right hand rule..?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this problem asks for the right hand rule, but I'm not sure. I don't have a very good grasp of the right hand rule... I'm assuming it is dependent on the direction of the magnetic field and something else.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
ivanwho49 said:

Homework Statement

Two current carrying wires run parallel. The bottom wire creates a magnetic field at a point on the top wire. What direction is the force on the left wire?

--------->------
--------->------
Hi ivanwho49. I see a top wire and a bottom wire...but where's the left wire? :confused:

The right-hand rule sounds good!

Sorry, I meant top. Top = left. What two things do I use the right hand rule with though?

ivanwho49 said:
Sorry, I meant top. Top = left. What two things do I use the right hand rule with though?
There are two different "right-hand rules". Use the right one first, it needs only one "thing", viz., direction of current.

1. What are two parallel currents?

Two parallel currents refer to two separate flows of electric current that are moving in the same direction and have the same magnitude. They are often found in circuits with multiple branches or in parallel circuit configurations.

2. How are parallel currents different from series currents?

Parallel currents differ from series currents in that they have separate paths and do not pass through each other. In a series circuit, the current flows through each component in the same direction, while in a parallel circuit, the current splits and flows through multiple branches.

3. What is the relationship between the currents in parallel branches?

The currents in parallel branches are inversely proportional to their respective resistances. This means that the branch with the lower resistance will have a higher current, while the branch with the higher resistance will have a lower current.

4. How do parallel currents affect the overall resistance of a circuit?

Parallel currents decrease the overall resistance of a circuit. This is because the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, and having multiple parallel branches decreases the overall resistance.

5. Can parallel currents cancel each other out?

No, parallel currents cannot cancel each other out. In a parallel circuit, the current in each branch remains constant and does not depend on the current in other branches. However, if the currents in two branches are equal and opposite, they will cancel out and no current will flow through the circuit.