1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two part question vectors

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    consider the vector field q=yzcos(xy)i+xzcos(xy)j+(sin(xy)+2z)k

verify that x q=0 and concequently determine a function f(x,y,z) such that q=f

now i have completed the first part by using the determinant and multiplying out, it is quite obvious that the whole thing equals zero, however i dont know how to do the second part "concequently determine a function f(x,y,z) such that q=f"

my first question is does f simply mean the dot product when there is no dot there? i assume it does

and my second question is how do i approach this question? thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi terryfields! :smile:

No, f is the gradient …

for an ordinary function f(x) of a vector x, f is the gradient vector (∂f/∂x1, … ,∂f/∂xn) :smile:

And if x q = 0, then there must be an f with q = f.

(and basically you find f by integrating each component of q, and using a little common-sense for the "constants"! :wink:)
  4. Jan 5, 2009 #3
    ah ok, so do i just need to integrate each term in respect to x or in respect to x,y and z?
  5. Jan 5, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The i term with respect to x, the j term with respect to y, and the k term with respect to z. :wink:
  6. Jan 5, 2009 #5
    ok, so by my calculations i would get (zsin(xy))i+(zsin(xy))j+(zsin(xy)+z2)k i assume this is how it's writen? as i now assume i need to do ∇ x f = 0 to find my constants?
  7. Jan 5, 2009 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, as tiny tim said, "using a little common-sense for the "constants"!" The reason he put "constants" in quotes is because the partial derivative with respect to one variable treats the other variables as constants- and you have to consider that in taking an "ant-derivative".

For example, if the v were the vector [itex]2xy\vec{i}+ (x^2+ z)\vec{j}+ (1+ y)\vec{k}[/itex], then you must have [itex]\partial f/\partial x= 2xy[/itex], [itex]\partial f/\partial y= x^2+ z[/itex], and [itex]\partial f/\partial z= 1+ y[/itex]. Integrating [itex]\partial f/\partial x= 2xy[/itex] gives [itex]f= x^2y+ \phi(y,z)[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] can be any function of y and z since its derivative, with respect to x, is 0. If we differentiate that with respect to y, we get [itex]\partial f/\partial y= x^2+ \partial \phi/\partial y= x^2+ z[/itex] or [itex]\partial \phi/\partial y= z[/itex]. (Notice how the "[itex]x^2[/itex]" cancelled- that HAS to happen because [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function of y and z only. That's why not every function is a "gradient".)

Integrating [itex]\partial\ph/\partial y= z[/itex] gives us [itex]\phi(y,z)= yz+ \psi(z)[/itex]. Again, the "constant" of integration may be a function of z. That means that we now have [itex]f(x,y,z)= x^2y+ yz+ \psi(z)[/itex] and differentiating that with respect to z, [itex]\partial f/\partial z= y+ d\psi/dz= 1+ y[/itex] and the "y" term cancels leaving [itex]d\psi/dz= 1[/itex]. (That is an ordinary derivative because [itex]\psi[/itex] is a function of z only.) Integrating that, [itex]\psi(z)= z+ C[/itex] where now the "constant" of integration is now really a constant.

That gives [itex]f(x,y,z)= x^2y+ yz+ z+ C[/itex] and you can check that [itex]\nabla (x^2y+ yz+ z)= 2xy\vec{i}+ (x^2+ z)\vec{j}+ (y+1)\vec{k} for any constant C.
  8. Jan 5, 2009 #7
    i think i understand

so when we get zsin(xy)i +zsin(xy)j+z2 from integrating we have to check what we would get from differentiating this?

in this case the i term and j term dont need constants because they would differentiate right back to what they were integrated from? however for the k term we do because if we differentiate z2 we just get 2z not 2z+ sin(xy)
    so we need to add on a term that will differentiate with respects to z to get sin(xy) namely zsin(xy)?

giving our full answer to be zsin(xy)i+zsin(xy)j+z2+zsin(xy)
  9. Jan 5, 2009 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo … f is an ordinary function, not a vector …

when you integrate, you're aiming to get the same function f, each of the three times …

that's where the "constants" come in …

how can you combine zsin(xy) and z2 to get a single f that fits? :smile:
  10. Jan 5, 2009 #9
    f=z2 +zsin(xy)?? is there a method to do this by or is it just inspection to find it?
  11. Jan 5, 2009 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right! :smile:

(and the method is what you just did …

didn't you like it? :wink:)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?