1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-Particle Normalization

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I've been working on this for a while but I just can't seem to figure this out. I have to solve a problem regarding a one-dimensional two-particle wavefunction psi(x1, x2, t) that is normalized at t=0, and the particles are not in spin. I have to show that the wavefunction remains normalized for all time. I would appreciate any help.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that to normalize, Integral[|psi(x1, x2, t)|^2] =1. So, I have written out the wavefunction, how I think it is, for a two particle system:

(1/a) Sin[(n*Pi*x)/(2*a)]*Sin[(m*Pi*y)/(2*a)]*Exp[-I*w*t]

Then, I went ahead and found the complex conjugate and multiplied it by the original wavefunction. I tried to integrate it on mathematica from -Infinity to Infinity, but it said the integral does not converge.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

I belive that you are using the wavefuction for a particle in a box of length 2a. Hence, you don't have to integrate over all space - only in the box (i.e. from -a to a).

Having a plane wave in unbound space is unphysical and not normalisable - since that would imply that the particle exists everywhere for all time.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Right. I was working it out and that's the problem I ran into. So, if that's not how it's done, how would I go about solving this problem then?
  5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Actually, this problem is quite trivial if you know that wavefunction. You don't actually have to do the integral, because you can factorize e^iwt out.
  6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    Did you read my post? You have to integrate between "a" and "-a", and NOT from infinity to -infinity.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?