Can the Feynman Path Integral Account for Two Non-Interacting Particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Feynman Path Integral for two non-interacting particles and how the presence of a second particle may affect the wave function of the first particle. It is speculated that the classical path may become curved if the particles interfere with each other.
friend
Is there such a thing as a Feynman Path Integral for two non-interacting particles? I find myself wondering how the wave function of a single particle is changed in the presence of a second particle. The Feynman path integral takes into account every possible path that a particle can take. So what would happen if there is another particle in the vicinity of the first? If both particles are only accounted for by their mass and velocity (no other forces or potentials), then how would the wave function of the first particle be changed by the mere existence of a second particle? Would the path integral of each simply ignore the existence of the other? Or would they interfere with each other in some way?

Physics news on Phys.org
friend said:
Is there such a thing as a Feynman Path Integral for two non-interacting particles? I find myself wondering how the wave function of a single particle is changed in the presence of a second particle.
Normally the path integral for a free particle from a starting point to the ending point is a straight line in flat space. But if the presence of another particle interferes in some way, then I suppose the classical path would have to change to something more curved, right?

Last edited:

1. What is the Two Particle Path Integral?

The Two Particle Path Integral is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another. It takes into account all the possible paths the particle can take and assigns a probability to each path.

2. How is the Two Particle Path Integral calculated?

The Two Particle Path Integral is calculated by summing up the contributions from all possible paths that the particles can take. This involves integrating over all possible positions of the particles at different points in time.

3. What is the importance of the Two Particle Path Integral?

The Two Particle Path Integral is an important tool in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in a more accurate way. It takes into account the quantum nature of particles and allows for a better understanding of their behavior.

4. Can the Two Particle Path Integral be extended to more particles?

Yes, the Two Particle Path Integral can be extended to an arbitrary number of particles. However, the calculations become increasingly complex as the number of particles increases.

5. Are there any limitations to the Two Particle Path Integral?

One limitation of the Two Particle Path Integral is that it assumes the particles are non-interacting. This means that the particles do not affect each other's paths or behavior. In reality, particles can interact with each other and this can affect their paths and behavior.