Are All Two-Particle Wave Functions Products of One-Particle Wave Functions?

In summary, two-particle wave functions can be written as a product of two one-particle wave functions, but this is not always true when the particles are interacting. However, any set of interacting particles can still be written as a linear expansion of single-particle functions. Additionally, statistical non-correlated particles can be written as a direct product of single-particle functions.
majed_q8i
Ever two-particle wave function is a product of two one-particle wave functions.
Is this true?
if not, can you give me a example ?
Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I menat Every*

You can have [tex]\psi(x_1,x_2)[/tex] that does not equal
[tex]\phi_1(x_1)\phi_2(x_2)[/tex],
or you can have a wave function that is a sum of products.

in griffiths, 2nd edition, page 203
says that there exist entangled states that cannot be decomposed to the product of two one-particle wave function.

can you describe entangled states of this type?
I mean write down the equation.

Thanks!

An example, as stated in that same page in Griffiths is the spin singlet state |ud - du>. See pgs 184-185.

Last edited:
majed_q8i said:
Ever two-particle wave function is a product of two one-particle wave functions.
Is this true?
if not, can you give me a example ?
Thank you :)

If that were true, then any function in 2 variables can be decomposed as a product of two functions in one variable.

But such a function would have the property that it has no zeroes, or infinitely many zeroes, since if h(x0,y0)= f(x0)g(y0)=0, then either f(x0)=0 or g(y0)=0, which implies h(x0,y) and h(x,y0) are zero for all y and x, respectively.

majed_q8i said:
Ever two-particle wave function is a product of two one-particle wave functions. Is this true? if not, can you give me a example ?

It's not true any time those two particles are interacting. If your wave function is a product of two single-particle functions, then every observable quantity is a product of the probabilities for the respective particles. I.e. they're statistically uncorrelated and so, independent of each other.

alxm said:
It's not true any time those two particles are interacting. If your wave function is a product of two single-particle functions, then every observable quantity is a product of the probabilities for the respective particles. I.e. they're statistically uncorrelated and so, independent of each other.

Is the converse true? That is, if they're statistically uncorrelated, can they be written as a direct product?

RedX said:
Is the converse true? That is, if they're statistically uncorrelated, can they be written as a direct product?

Statistical non-correlation means that P(A|B) = P(A)P(B), so yes.

I might want to add to the earlier that any set of interacting (correlated) particles may still be written as a linear expansion of different single-particle functions though. (Handwaving: Throw out the interaction terms from the Hamiltonian and solve for the single particles which can be used as a basis for the interacting Hamiltonian. E.g. a Slater determinant)

alxm said:
Statistical non-correlation means that P(A|B) = P(A)P(B), so yes.

I might want to add to the earlier that any set of interacting (correlated) particles may still be written as a linear expansion of different single-particle functions though. (Handwaving: Throw out the interaction terms from the Hamiltonian and solve for the single particles which can be used as a basis for the interacting Hamiltonian. E.g. a Slater determinant)

oh yes, that is almost by definition. If you have P(x,y), and P(x|y=a)=P(x,a)=f(x)g(a), then it must be true that P(x,y)=f(x)g(y), or that the state can be written:

[tex]|\psi>=|\sqrt{f}>\otimes|\sqrt{g}> [/tex]

oh, I think you and I made a slight error. It's not:

P(A|B) = P(A)P(B)

but

[tex]P(A \cap B)=P(A)P(B)[/tex]

If you wanted to use conditional probability, then the equation would be:

P(A|B) = P(A)

Anyways, I don't think this changes the concept, just the notation:

[tex]P( (x=a) \cap (y=b))=P(a,b)=f(a)g(b)[/tex], then it must be true that P(x,y)=f(x)g(y), or that the state can be written:

[tex]
|\psi>=|\sqrt{f}>\otimes|\sqrt{g}>
[/tex]

Where here the x,y, positions are uncorrelated, and:

[tex]
(<x|\otimes <y|)|\psi>=\sqrt{f(x)} \sqrt{g(y)}
[/tex]

addendum

I guess technically one should show that if [tex]\psi(x,y) [/tex] can't be written as a direct product, i.e., [tex]\psi(x,y)\neq f(x)g(y) [/tex], then it's modulus squared can't be written as one either. But that's easy, since if it's modulus squared could be written as one, then just by taking the square root contradicts that [tex]\psi(x,y) [/tex] can't be written as a direct product.

Last edited:

1. What is a two-particle wave function?

A two-particle wave function is a mathematical representation of the spatial and temporal behavior of a system composed of two particles. It describes the probability of finding the two particles at a given location and time, and includes information about the particles' properties such as spin and energy.

2. How is a two-particle wave function related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions that evolve over time according to the Schrödinger equation. The two-particle wave function is a solution to this equation that describes the behavior of a system with two interacting particles.

3. Can the two-particle wave function be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Yes, the two-particle wave function can be used to calculate the probability of finding the two particles in a particular state at a given time. By solving the Schrödinger equation, the wave function can also provide information about the system's energy levels and how they change over time.

4. How does the shape of the two-particle wave function affect the behavior of the particles?

The shape of the two-particle wave function determines the probability of finding the particles in a particular region of space. A higher probability in one area means that the particles are more likely to be found there, while a lower probability means they are less likely to be found in that region.

5. What are the limitations of the two-particle wave function?

The two-particle wave function does not take into account the effects of relativity and cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles moving at high speeds. It also does not account for interactions with external forces, such as electromagnetic fields. Additionally, the wave function only provides statistical predictions and cannot predict the exact behavior of individual particles.