Maximizing Displacements in SHM: Is ωt = -Φ/2 the Correct Value?

In summary: Acos[(2ωt+Φ)/2]sin(Φ/2)##. In summary,The homework statement is asking for help solving equations for maximum displacements between particles. The attempt at a solution states that the displacements are given as y1 = Asin(ωt) and y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ). When displacement is maximum, 3A/2 = 2Asin(Φ/2). Φ = sin-1(3√7/8) and t = π/(2ω) - Φ/(2ω). If the displ
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

shm.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The displacements of the two particles are given as

y1 = Asin(ωt)
y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ)

y2 - y1 = Asin(ωt+Φ) -Asin(ωt)

y2 - y1 = 2Acos[(2ωt+Φ)/2]sin(Φ/2)

Maximum value of displacements between particles is given as 3A/2 . This will happen when cos(2ωt+Φ) = 1 or ωt = -Φ/2

When displacement is maximum , then 3A/2 = 2Asin(Φ/2)

Φ = sin-1(3√7/8)

Is that correct till know ?

I think value of ωt = -Φ/2 is not correct as it gives opposite signs in displacements .

Attachments

• shm.png
    shm.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 744
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
I think value of ωt = -Φ/2 is not correct as it gives opposite signs in displacements .
Having opposite signs makes sense, so when you calculate the difference it would be something like y1-(-y2) resulting a maximum displacement(The particles are further apart when they are on the either side of equilibrium position, compared to when they are on (one and)the same side of the equilibrium position)

That still leaves out the final part of the problem(calculating the displacement when it is equal). Do you need any help in how to proceed?

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
How should I find the time at which the particles have the same displacement and hence find this displacement ?

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
make use of this equation.

If the displacements are equal then what happens to the LHS? And so what can you deduce about the RHS?

Likes Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 218454

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The displacements of the two particles are given as

y1 = Asin(ωt)
y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ)

y2 - y1 = Asin(ωt+Φ) -Asin(ωt)

Maximum value of displacements between particles is given as 3A/2 . This will happen when cos(2ωt+Φ) = 1 or ωt = -Φ/2

Φ = sin-1(3√7/8)

Is that correct till know ?

Where did ##\sqrt{7}## come from?

You can continue with the same ideas to find when ##y_2 = y_1## now that you know ##\phi##.

phoenix95 said:
make use of this equation.

If the displacements are equal then what happens to the LHS? And so what can you deduce about the RHS?

I get t = π/(2ω) - Φ/(2ω) , t is the time when displacements are equal .

Is that right ?

Jahnavi said:
I get t = π/(2ω) - Φ/(2ω)

Is that right ?
You are on the right track.

Now since you got t, you can use these
Jahnavi said:
y1 = Asin(ωt)
y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ)
to get the displacement.

I would recommend using the second equation(Try with both equations and find out why:smile:).

Likes Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:
I get t = π/(2ω) - Φ/(2ω) , t is the time when displacements are equal .

Is that right ?

Yes, although I would say ##\omega t = \pi/2 - \phi/2## or ##\omega t = 3\pi/2 - \phi/2##

I am getting value of displacement = Acos(Φ/2) , where Φ = sin-1(3√7/8) .

Is that right ?

Likes phoenix95
@phoenix95 , but the answer given is A(√7/4)

Jahnavi said:
but the answer given is A(√7/4)
I don't think that is correct

Because if you take the displacement(from the answer given), and substitute it in this:
Jahnavi said:
y1 = Asin(ωt)
it would give you ωt=sin-1(√7/4)

If you take the above value and the phase you calculated(which I think is correct), and substitute in the equation below:
Jahnavi said:
you won't get y2-y1=0.

PeroK said:
Where did ##\sqrt{7}## come from?

Φ = 2sin-1(3/4) = sin-1(3√7/8) .

@PeroK , do you think answer calculated in post#9 is correct ?

Jahnavi said:
@phoenix95 , but the answer given is A(√7/4)

This is correct. Your calculation of ##\phi## is wrong, as I tried to point out above.

PeroK said:
This is correct. Your calculation of ##\phi## is wrong, as I tried to point out above.

Is this correct ?

Jahnavi said:

Is this correct ?

Yes.

PeroK said:
Yes.

Then I am getting the same results as in post#12 . Please point out the error .

Jahnavi said:
I am getting value of displacement = Acos(Φ/2) , where Φ = sin-1(3√7/8) .

Is that right ?

Okay, this is correct. The problem is how you get from this to your answer. I just used:

##\phi/2 = \sin^{-1}(3/4)##

I see what you did now. You used the double angle formula to get ##\phi = \sin^{-1}(3 \sqrt{7}/8)##. I see now. That's right, but it just complicates things. Why not stick with the equation for ##\phi/2##?

Likes Jahnavi
PeroK said:

Sorry, your calculation for ##\phi## was correct. I didn't do that calculation at all and when I checked it quickly, I got it wrong! Apologies for the confusion.

Ok .

Now , I am getting the answer A(√7/4) . Is this what you are also getting ?

Jahnavi said:
Ok .

Now , I am getting the answer A(√7/4) . Is this what you are also getting ?

Yes.

Likes Jahnavi
PS in fact, now that the problem is done, there was no need to use the inverse trig functions at all.

The first equation you get is that ##\sin(\phi/2) = 3/4##. Just leave it like that!

And, the second equation you get is for the equal displacements:

##y_1 = y_2 = \pm A \cos(\phi/2)##

Likes Jahnavi
@PeroK ,

As a cross check to verify whether the result A(√7/4) is correct , I put this value in place of y1 . From this I get ωt = sin-1(√7/4) .

Now when I put this value of ωt and value of Φ = sin-1(3√7/8) , I should get y2 = A(√7/4) .

But instead I am getting y2 = A(5√7)/16 .

May be I have made some calculation mistake .

Could you please verify .

Jahnavi said:
@PeroK ,

As a cross check to verify whether the result A(√7/4) is correct , I put this value in place of y1 . From this I get ωt = sin-1(√7/4) .

Now when I put this value of ωt and value of Φ = sin-1(3√7/8) , I should get y2 = A(√7/4) .

But instead I am getting y2 = 5√7/16 .

May be I have made some calculation mistake .

Could you please verify .

##\sin(\phi/2) = 3/4 \Rightarrow \phi/2 = 0.848##

##\omega t_0 = \pi/2 - \phi/2 = 0.723##

##y_1 = A\sin(\omega t_0) = 0.661A##

##y_2 = A\sin(\omega t_0 + \phi) = A \sin(2.419) = 0.661A##

Likes Jahnavi
OK. Thanks !

But I am not supposed to use a calculator .So ,I need other ways to check my work . Please see this .

y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ) ,

Put ωt = sin-1(√7/4) and Φ = sin-1(3√7/8) on the RHS .

Using the formula sin-1x+sin-1y = sin-1[x√(1-y2)+y√(1-x2)]

I get y2 = A(5√7)/16 .

Why am I not getting the exact result ?

Let's do the general problem where the maximum displacement is ##\alpha A##, where ##0 \le \alpha \le 2##.

Now, we don't get tangled up with all those surds!

##\sin(\phi/2) = \alpha/2, \ \ \cos(\phi/2) = \sqrt{1 - \alpha^2 /4}##

##\omega t_0 = \pi/2 - \phi/2, \ 3\pi/2 - \phi/2##

##y_1 = A \sin(\omega t_0) = A\sin(\pi/2 - \phi/2), \ A\sin(3\pi/2 - \phi/2) = \pm A\cos(\phi/2)##

##y_2 = A \sin(\omega t_0 + \phi) = A\sin(\pi/2 + \phi/2), \ A\sin(3\pi/2 + \phi/2) = \pm A\cos(\phi/2) \ \ ## (this is now a cross check, done algebraically, regardless of whether you know ##\phi## or not!)

In this case, ##\alpha = 3/2##, hence ##\cos(\phi/2) = \sqrt{7}/4##

And no calculator needed.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi and ehild
Jahnavi said:
OK. Thanks !

But I am not supposed to use a calculator .So ,I need other ways to check my work . Please see this .

y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ) ,

I get y2 = A(5√7)/16 .

You make it too complicated. You got that ##\omega t = \pi/2 - \phi/2##. ##y_2 = A\sin(\pi/2 +\phi/2) = A \cos (\phi/2) ##.

Likes Jahnavi and PeroK
ehild said:
You make it too complicated. You got that ##\omega t = \pi/2 - \phi/2##. ##y_2 = A\sin(\omega t +\phi/2) = A \cos (\phi/2) ##.

y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ) not Asin(ωt+Φ/2)

Jahnavi said:
y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ) not Asin(ωt+Φ/2)
Thanks, it should have been π/2+Φ/2. I corrected it.

I agree with both of you that I have made things complicated . Sorry !

Still , what is the mistake in my work in post#24 ?

Jahnavi said:
OK. Thanks !

y2 = Asin(ωt+Φ) ,

I get y2 = A(5√7)/16 .

cos(Φ) should be -1/8.
sin (Φ/2) = 3/4 cos (Φ/2) =√7/4 --> Φ/2=48.6°, Φ=97.2 ° cos (Φ) is negative.

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to maximizing displacements?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Maximizing displacements in SHM means finding the maximum amplitude or displacement from equilibrium that an object can reach during its oscillations.

2. What does ωt = -Φ/2 represent in SHM?

In SHM, ω represents the angular frequency, which is a measure of how quickly the object is oscillating. t represents time, and Φ represents the phase angle, which is the offset of the oscillation from its starting position. Therefore, ωt = -Φ/2 represents the position of the object at a specific time during its oscillations.

3. How can we determine the correct value for ωt = -Φ/2 in SHM?

The correct value for ωt = -Φ/2 can be determined by using the equation for SHM, x = A cos(ωt + Φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and Φ is the phase angle. By plugging in the given values and solving for ωt = -Φ/2, we can find the correct value.

4. Is ωt = -Φ/2 the only way to maximize displacements in SHM?

No, ωt = -Φ/2 is not the only way to maximize displacements in SHM. The maximum displacement can also be achieved by finding the maximum amplitude or by adjusting the frequency of the oscillations. In some cases, changing the initial conditions of the system can also lead to maximum displacements.

5. How can we use the value of ωt = -Φ/2 to optimize SHM for practical applications?

The value of ωt = -Φ/2 can be used to optimize SHM for practical applications by helping us understand the behavior of the system and predicting its future movements. This can be useful in designing and controlling systems that rely on SHM, such as pendulums, springs, and vibrating systems. By understanding the relationship between ωt = -Φ/2 and the maximum displacements, we can also make adjustments to optimize the performance of these systems.