Calculating Pressure Drop Across Valve in Horizontal Pipe

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the pressure drop across a valve in a 20m straight length horizontal pipe with steam flowing at a rate of 0.5 kg/s. The inlet pressure is 5 bar (gauge) and the pressure at the end of the line is 3 bar (gauge). The mass quality of the steam is 0.8 and two-phase flow occurs in the line. The speaker has calculated the mass flow and frictional pressure drop in the pipe without the valve, but is unsure about how to calculate the pressure drop across the valve. They are wondering if they should take the angle (θ) as equal to zero since the pipe is horizontal. The response is that yes, theta (θ)
pray4mojo
Hi,

20m straight length horizontal pipe (60 mm internal diameter), steam flows at rate 0.5 kg/s, at midpoint there is a valve in the line. inlet pressure to this section of line is 5 bar (gauge), pressure at end of line is 3 bar (gauge). mass quality of steam is 0.8 and 2 phase flow occurs in the line.

I have calculated the mass flow of liquid and vapor in the line, the frictional pressure drop (N/m2) for the horizontal tube (without valve) using lockart martinelli correlation and also predicted the flow pattern at entry to the valve.

However,the part I am having a problem with is..When calculating the pressure drop across the valve.After calculating the homogeneous parameters and inserting them into the pressure drop equation which is: -dp/dz= [ρ*u *du/dz] + [2*f*ρ*u^2/d] + ρ*g*sinθ

First term in the equation i took equal to zero (no change in velocity assumed), but for the last term (ρ*g*sinθ), do i take theta(θ) as equal to zero as it is a horizontal pipe?

My solution is attached.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• twophase(1).jpg
    twophase(1).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 379
  • twophase(2).jpg
    twophase(2).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you would take theta (θ) as equal to zero as the pipe is horizontal. The last term (ρ*g*sinθ) in the equation is the gravitational pressure drop which is only applicable when the pipe is not horizontal, i.e. when it has a vertical or inclined section.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your calculations and the issue you are facing. As a scientist, my response would be to suggest that you double-check your assumptions and calculations in order to ensure accuracy. It is important to consider all aspects and variables in a system, especially in a complex situation like calculating pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe with two-phase flow.

To answer your question about θ, it is correct to assume that it is equal to zero in a horizontal pipe. However, it is important to note that the pressure drop equation you have provided includes other terms that may also contribute to the pressure drop across the valve, such as frictional pressure drop and changes in velocity. It is important to consider all of these factors in your calculations to get an accurate result.

I would also suggest consulting with a colleague or expert in the field to review your calculations and assumptions. They may be able to provide valuable insights and help you troubleshoot any issues you may be facing.

Best of luck with your calculations and I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your scientific pursuits.

1. How do I calculate the pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe?

The pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid in a pipe is constant. This equation takes into account the pressure, velocity, and elevation of the fluid before and after the valve. By solving for the difference in pressure, the pressure drop across the valve can be calculated.

2. What factors affect the pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe?

The pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe is affected by several factors such as the type of valve, the size of the valve, the flow rate of the fluid, and the properties of the fluid (i.e. viscosity, density). These factors can impact the resistance of the valve and the resulting pressure drop.

3. How does the type of valve affect the pressure drop in a horizontal pipe?

The type of valve plays a significant role in determining the pressure drop in a horizontal pipe. For example, a globe valve has a higher pressure drop compared to a gate valve due to its design and flow characteristics. A ball valve, on the other hand, has a lower pressure drop due to its minimal resistance to flow.

4. Can the pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe be reduced?

Yes, the pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe can be reduced by choosing the right valve type and size for the specific application. Additionally, reducing the flow rate or increasing the pipe diameter can also help reduce the pressure drop. Proper valve maintenance and regular cleaning can also help minimize pressure drop.

5. How important is it to calculate the pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe?

Calculating the pressure drop across a valve in a horizontal pipe is crucial in ensuring the safe and efficient operation of a system. Excessive pressure drop can lead to decreased flow, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to the valve. By accurately calculating the pressure drop, engineers and operators can make informed decisions to optimize the performance of the system.