How Do You Solve Basic Physics Problems Using Textbook Formulas?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the force exerted by hinges on an object's center of gravity and the equation for vertical motion using initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and initial height. The individual was able to figure out the problems with the help of notes and problems from the textbook.
Lizz
Nevermind... I was able to figure both problems out with some notes and problems from the textbook. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Can you describe the vertical motion in terms of only the y component of velocity, vy, and time, t?

2. What've you tried?

--J

1. hm? I'm not sure what you mean.

2. Well, I figured that each hinge has to support 14g of weight, which is pretty obvious. Since they're both the same distance from the CG, then I guess I really only need to find the Forces for both one them. I was thinking that the force in the x direction would just be the hinge's distance from CG in the x direction (and same for the verticle force) multiplied by 14g, but I'm not sure.

If I gave you the initial vertical velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the initial height, could you tell me where I am as a function of time? Meaning, could you write an equation for y(t) using only these values that I gave you?

--J

And, naturally, I realize it's time for me to run off to class, so if anyone else wants to hop in here for me...

--J

Yeah, I think so... Isn't that just d = Vi x t + 1/2at^2?

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large-scale objects and systems, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Classical physics follows Newton's laws of motion, while quantum physics follows the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How can I solve a physics problem using the scientific method?

The scientific method involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments to test the hypothesis, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions. To solve a physics problem, you would first need to identify the problem, gather relevant information, formulate a hypothesis, and then use mathematical equations and experiments to test your hypothesis.

3. What are some common strategies for solving physics problems?

Some common strategies for solving physics problems include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, drawing diagrams, using relevant equations, and checking for units and significant figures. It's also important to understand the underlying concepts and principles in order to effectively apply them to the problem at hand.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills in physics. Make sure to work through a variety of problems, and if you get stuck, try to identify which concepts or equations you may be struggling with. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, and make use of online resources and practice quizzes.

5. What should I do if I'm still having trouble solving a physics problem?

If you're still having trouble solving a physics problem, don't get discouraged. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a peer or instructor. Sometimes, discussing the problem with others can help you to better understand the underlying concepts and find a solution.