1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Physics Problems plsss help ?

1. Dec 22, 2006 #1
    Two Physics Problems .. plsss help ??!!

Q1 :

The figure shows a mass M inside a tube bent in a circle of radius R=1.20 m. M can slide with negligible friction inside the tube. The tube rotates about a vertical axis passing through the center. The mass is in equilibrium at q =56.5 degrees. Calculate the number of revolution the hoop makes in 12.0 s.

THE FIGURE : http://www3.0zz0.com/2006/12/22/10/35335598.gif

Q2:

A 8.40 kg mass suspended from a spring with spring constant, k = 800.0 N/m, extends it to a total length of 0.270 m. Find the total length of the spring when a 13.40 kg mass is suspended from it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will have to show what you have done to attempt a solution.

AM

4. Dec 22, 2006 #3
    the second question :i don't know how to begin !!!
    the first question

F=kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant and x is the distance stretched.

k = 800 N/m
    x=0.270
    F=kx=800*0.270=216N/m

I don't know how to find the total length of the spring ..

[ i never learn physics before .. i have many problems !! I'm trying to be better ..]

5. Dec 22, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful: 0.270 m is the total length of the spring, not the amount of stretch. Use Hooke's law to figure out how much the spring stretched when the weight was added--this will allow you to calculate the unstretched length.

Hint for question #1: What kind of motion does the mass undergo? What kind of acceleration?

6. Dec 22, 2006 #5
    ok ..

in question 2 :

maybe i have to do that :

F=mg=13.40*9.81=131.454 N

x=F/k=131.454/800=0.1643m

is it right ??

7. Dec 22, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's certainly an essential step in solving the problem. What is the meaning of what you have calculated, and how does it relate to the final solution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?