1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Physics problems

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the x and y components of the following three vectors in the xy plane.
    (a) A 9-m displacement vector that makes an angle of 35° clockwise from the +y direction.
    x: ____ m
    y: ____ m

(b) A 25-m/s velocity vector that makes an angle of 45° counterclockwise from the -x direction.
    x: ____ m/s
    y: ____ m/s

(c) A 49-lb. force vector that makes an angle of 140° counterclockwise from the -y direction.
    x: ____ lb
    y: ____ lb

You are watching your friend play hockey. In the course of the game, he strikes the puck in such a way that, when it is at its highest point, it just clears the surrounding 2.84 m high Plexiglas wall that is 10.8 m away. (Ignore any effects due to air resistance.)
    (a) Find the vertical component of its initial velocity.
    v0y = ____ m/s

(b) Find the time it takes to reach the wall.
    Δt = ____ s

(c) Find the horizontal component of its initial velocity, and its initial speed and angle.
    v0x = ____ m/s
    v0 = ____ m/s
    θ = ____ °

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rules of this forum clearly state
    Please follow them.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Ok, I need help with the first one. I'm trying to set it up but I don't get what it's asking for. Can you help explain?

Ok, I figured it out, I set it up on paper and got it.

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4
    I got the first one. I saw to get x you do sin(35) and then multiply by 9. And the same with y but cos instead of sin. I did the same thing for (b) in the first problem and it wasn't right. It's a velocity vector instead of a displacement vector. What difference does thi make for finding the solution?

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make a drawing. Are there any negative components?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook