1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Physics Questions: Please Help

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    A car heading north collides at an intersection with a truck heading east. If they lock together and travel at 28 m/s at 41° north of east just after the collision, how fast was the car initially traveling? Assume that the two vehicles have the same mass.

A) 37 m/s
    B) 28 m/s
    C) 74 m/s
    D) 19 m/s

My friend and I are having a disagreement. I got 19 m/s and my friend got 37m/s. He is saying that the total speed would be 28m/sx2=56 m/s.

Is there any way that someone can solve the question and see what they got? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    Well, it depends on which car you're talking about. I assume the car heading north.

Think about it this way. The final velocity of vector of 28 m/s has an eastward component and a northward component. Try to find just the northward component of this vector (draw it as a right triangle). I think this way you can prove your friend wrong :).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?