Intersecting Planes and Solving Systems of Equations

• Thread starter StonedPanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normal vectors for two planes and using the cross product to determine a vector parallel to the line representing the intersection of the planes. The conversation also suggests using algebra to find a common point on the line. The importance of limiting posts to one section is also mentioned.
StonedPanda
This is my post that I posted in the calculus discussion area, but I know that there are a few people here in the same class (and using the same book!) so it's probably beneficial to post it here too.

edit: go me! of course I forget to post the link lol! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=252564#post252564

I must have been :zzz: ! =p

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the normal vectors for both planes, and simply take the cross product of them to produce a vector parallel to the line that represents the planes' intersection. Then use some algebra to find a point common to both planes; and therefore on the line, and you have your line. Sorry if this didn't make any sense, it makes perfect sense in my head, but it's hard to determine if the same is true in words. And I think you should try to limit your posts to one section to keep the moderators happy. :wink:

Ahh ok.

I thought about it a little, and that makes sense. Like if my planes were X + Y + Z = 0 and 2X + Y + Z = 0 I'd set Z equal to zero, and then I'd get a zyztem of equations and the point I'd use would be (X,Y,0, right? That makes sense, thanks gza!

Anyway, do you have any answers to the other questions?

(I'll only post in one section from now on if it matters! =p)

What is the definition of two planes intersecting?

Two planes intersect when they share at least one point in common.

How many points of intersection can two planes have?

Two planes can have an infinite number of points of intersection, unless they are parallel.

How can you determine if two planes are parallel?

If the normal vectors of the two planes are parallel, then the planes are parallel. Alternatively, if the angle between the two planes is 0° or 180°, then they are parallel.

What is the relationship between the angle of intersection and the angle between the normal vectors of two planes?

The angle of intersection between two planes is equal to the angle between their normal vectors.

How can you find the equation of the line of intersection between two planes?

First, find two points on each plane by setting one variable equal to 0 and solving for the other two variables. Then, use these points to find the direction vector of the line. Finally, use the point-slope form to write the equation of the line.