1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two point source

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point sources, S1 and S2, are vibrating in phase and produce waves with a wavelength of 2.5 m. The two waves overlap at a nodal point. Calculate the smallest corresponding difference in path length for this point.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know how to start this question. How can I find the length when I am only given the wavelength

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2016 #2
    What relevant equations do you think you would need?

4. Jun 1, 2016 #3
    sinθn= (n-1/2) (λ/d) , honestly I really don't understand what this question is asking

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. Jun 1, 2016 #4
    Do you know what sources are, nodal points and the paths from the sources to the point on the nodal line?

6. Jun 1, 2016 #5
    yes

7. Jun 1, 2016 #6
    There is a relationship which shows that the length of a line from a point on nodal line n, to source 1 and the length of another line from the same point on nodal line n, to source 2, when subtracted have a value dependent on the wavelength of the sources. Do you remember learning about path length difference?

8. Jun 1, 2016 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted