1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two points on a graph, the mid-point of a line made by these two points is an origin.

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two points are located on the graph [tex]y=4x^{2}+7x-1[/tex]. A line drawn between these two points have a mid-point at (0,0). Find these two points.

2. Relevant equations
    The midpoint formula [tex](x_{m},y_{m})=(\frac{x_{1}+x_{2}}{2},\frac{y_{1}+y_{2}}{2})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked out the distance from a point on the graph to the origin as a function of x [tex]d=\sqrt{16x^{4}+56x^{3}+42x^{2}-14x+1}[/tex], by plugging in the parabolic equation into the [tex]d=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]. I have also figured out these set of rules for [tex]x_{1}, x_{2}, y_{1}[/tex] and [tex]y_{2}[/tex]:
    [tex]x_{1}+x_{2}=0[/tex] and [tex]y_{1}+y_{2}=0[/tex]
    Thus [Tex]x_{1}= -x_{2}[/tex] and [tex]y_{1}= -y_{2}[/Tex]
    All of the above were derived from the midpoint formula, since the mid-point is (0,0), both the x's and the y's have to cancel out each other.

Thanks in Advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2
    Re: Two points on a graph, the mid-point of a line made by these two points is an ori

This is interesting, i dont think its possible to find the where these points are located without any information about where at least one of them is.

but i may just not be looking close enough for a solution.

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Denyven! :wink:

ok, so y1 + y2 = 0.

Now convert that equation into x1 and x2.

What do you get? :smile:

5. Nov 22, 2009 #4
    Re: Two points on a graph, the mid-point of a line made by these two points is an ori

Tiny Tim,
    What do you mean convert y1+y2 into x1+x2?
    Like this [tex]x_{1}+x_{2}=y_{1}+y_{2}[/tex]
    Or plug the equation of a parabola into the y1+y2?
    Which would yield [tex]y=8x^{2}+14x-2[/tex], who's zeros are [tex]x=\frac{1}{8}(-7-\sqrt{65})[/tex] and [tex]x=\frac{1}{8}(\sqrt{65}-7)[/tex].
    Are these the x values of either points?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  6. Nov 22, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I said x1 and x2.
    What on earth are you doing?

What happened to x1 and x2? :confused:

Put them back!!

7. Nov 22, 2009 #6

oh ha,
    so do you mean x1=y1+y2-x2 and x2=y1+y2-x1?

8. Nov 22, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I mean y1 = 4x12 + 7x1 - 1

and y2 = 4x22 + 7x2 - 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook