1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-port network z-parameters

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Z_PARAMETERS.JPG

2. Relevant equations

As above.

3. The attempt at a solution

(z11) With the output open circuit (and therefore I2=0) z11 = V1 / I1 = (R8 + R6)I1 / I1 = 14ohms;

(z12) With the input open circuit (and therefore I1=0) z12 = V1 / I2 = R6 = 6ohms;

(z21) With the output open circuit (and therefore I2=0) z21 = V2 / I1 = V1 x (R6 / (R8+R6) ) x ( (R8+R6) / V1) = R6 = 6ohms;

(z22) With the input open circuit (and therefore I1=0) z22 = V2 / I2 = R6xI2 / I2 = R6 = 6ohms

Is the above correct? It seems so easy that I'm worried I've overlooked something and made a really basic mistake!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello acx, welcome to PF :)

Some things are easy :) enjoy while it lasts...

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3
    Thanks BvU, I shall do just that!

5. Jan 25, 2017 #4

David J

Gold Member

Where does the value for ##I1## come from? In the first equation for ##z11## where ##I2=0## there appears to be a value of 1 for ##I1##. Then in the next equation for ##z12## and ##I1 =0## there appears to be a value of 1 for ##I2##. How are these values derived please as I cant seem to work out and my notes tell me virtually nothing. Appreciated thanks

6. Jan 25, 2017 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Can you enlarge your screen or change the default font to see print more clearly?

z11 = V1 / I1 = (R8 + R6) I1 / I1 = 14ohms

The formulae come from applying the z-parameter equations characterising a 2 port network.

7. Jan 25, 2017 #6
    For z11 assume that the input is not open circuit. Therefore I1 is not equal to zero. I1 then cancels out from the equation leaving z11 = R8+R6. You don't need a value for I1, just that it doesn't equal zero.

For z12 again it doesn't matter what value you have for I2. You show that z12 = R6 = 6ohms. The value of I2 becomes irrelevant.

8. Jan 26, 2017 #7

David J

Gold Member

OK thanks for the info.

So as I understand this ##Z11## is the impedance seen looking into port 1 when port 2 (output) is open

Output is open circuit so ##I2=0##

##Z11=\frac{V1}{I1}=\frac{(R8+R6)(I1)}{I1}## The ##I1## cancels leaving ##R8+R6=14\Omega##

So for ##Z22## is the impedance looking into port 2 when port 1 (input) is open

Input is open circuit so ##I1=0##

##Z22=\frac{V2}{I2}=\frac{(R6)(I2)}{I2}## The ##I2## cancels leaving ##R6=6\Omega##

The reason ##Z22## only has ##R6## to deal with is because looking into the network from port 2 we can only see the ##6\Omega## resistance

So for ##Z12## i understand this is the ratio of the voltage at port 1 to the current at port 2 when port 1 is open. If port 1 is open the ##I1=0##

You have used the equation ##Z12 =\frac{V1}{I2} = R6 = 6\Omega##

My question is why does ##V1=6\Omega## this time whereas when for ##Z11,V1=R8 + R6##

Thanks

9. Jan 26, 2017 #8

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Inject current at top terminal 2 and it exits at lower terminal 2. With port 1 open, determine V1.

Z_PARAMS.JPG

Does this answer your question?

10. Jan 26, 2017 #9

David J

Gold Member

So current will flow through ##R6## and back out via the lower terminal 2 because port 1 is open. So R8 does not come into the equation so to speak??

I have a better understanding of this now, yes. Thanks for the help

11. Jan 28, 2017 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sneak extra info: for a passive network, x12 = x21. x can be either z or y parameters. (The rules for h, a, s parameters differ slightly).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted