1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Power Series questions that need to be solved ly

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    Two Power Series questions that need to be solved urgently

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question 1: The function f(x) = 2x (ln(1+x)) is represented as a power series. Find coefficients c2 through c6 of the power series.
    Question 2: Write a partial sum for the power series which represents the function f(x) = 1/(1+(3^2)(x^2)) consisting of the first five non-zero terms. Also find the radius of convergence.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Question 1: Okay so the power series I came up with is (2(-1)n)/n x (xn), using the fact that ln(1+x) = 1/1+x = 1/1-(-x) and finding the partial sum 1-x+x^2-x^3... etc. So the coefficients I got were 1, 2/3, 1/2, 2/5, and 1/3. Unfortunately, the online thing says it's wrong, and I have no idea why...

Question 2: This one completely stumped me, the best I could come up with is to somehow take out the 3^2 so that you're left with 1+x^2 in the denominator, which is much easier to calculate a partial sum out of.

EDIT: Question 2 solved... just Question 1 now...
    EDIT2: Never mind now, solved Question 1 as well.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted