1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Probability Questions

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let {Xi} be a sequence of uniform random variables on [0,1]. What is P(sup {Xi} = 1) and P(Xi = Xj), i ≠ j?

The attempt at a solution
    If sup{Xi} = 1, then either Xi is 1 for some i or there is an increasing sequence of the Xi's that converges to 1. The probability of the former is 0. I don't know how to calculate the probability of the latter.

For the second probability, if things were finite I would condition on the value of Xj and compute the probability that way. But in this case, I have no idea what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider [itex]P(\sup\{x_i\} \neq 1)[/itex]. If the supremum is not 1, it must be less than one, say [itex]\sup\{x_i\} = \alpha < 1[/itex]. If this is the case, then none of the [itex]x_i[/itex] can be greater than [itex]\alpha[/itex]. What is the probability of that?

For the second question, note that [itex]x_i = x_j[/itex] if and only if [itex]x_i - x_j = 0[/itex].

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3
    Good tip. For a particular i, [itex]P(X_i > \alpha) = 1 - P(X_i \le \alpha) = 1 - \alpha[/itex], so the probability that [itex]X_i < \alpha[/itex] for all i must be [itex]\prod_i (1 - \alpha) = 0[/itex]. Hmm...this can't be right.

Right. I don't know why this didn't occur to me. Thanks.

5. Oct 7, 2009 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I get. This shows that [itex]P(\sup\{x_i\} \leq \alpha) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]\alpha < 1[/itex]. So [itex]P(\sup\{x_i\} = 1)[/itex] must be 1.

It makes sense that this must be the case. If I choose infinitely many uniform numbers in [0,1], why should ALL of these numbers avoid some interval [itex][\alpha,1][/itex] with nonzero probability? What's special about the rightmost edge of the interval? Nothing at all.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. Oct 7, 2009 #5
    You're right. My intuition about such things is, as you can tell, not very good. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook