1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Problems Dealing With Circular Motion

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    1) A wheel is rotating at a rate of 2.7 revolutions every 3.0 s. Through what angle, in radians, does the wheel rotate in 1.0 s?

I tried to solve this problem by:
    {a} 360 x 2.7 = 972
    {b} 972 / 3 = 324
    {c} 364 / (180 / Pi) = 5.65

Yet, 5.65 is not the answer. The rust coated around the section of my brain labeled 'Trigonometry' is probably the culprit here.

2) A highway curve has a radius of 127 m. At what angle should the road be banked so that a car traveling at 27.5 m/s has no tendency to skid sideways on the road? [Hint: No tendency to skid means the frictional force is zero.]

I have no train of logic on this problem because I'm utterly spellbound. I feel as if perhaps I'm minus an essential formula, though.

Any suggestions or advice would be a godsend.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get 5.65 too.

4. Apr 3, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I think it is.

No tendency to skid means that a frictional force is not required to keep the car from sliding.

The car is centripetally accelerating. Consider Newton's 2nd law. (What forces act on the car?) Hint: The vertical components of the forces must add to zero.

5. Apr 3, 2005 #4
    You're quoting two different numbers for the number of degrees per second, pick one!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?