Two problems from a competition Please help

• Thread starter wataru611
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary: If a circle rotates 3 times counterclockwise and then you twist it back one turn clockwise, don't you get rotation two times? The rotation of the center of B around the center of A is also turning B. I'm not sure words explain it very well. Again, sketch a picture.Thanks Dick I just tried it with two coins..and you that's the case,but it is still a bit counterintuitive..haha.i think i need some more time to totally get it but you thank you!
wataru611
1.Consider a circle A of radius 3 and a circle B of radius 1.The circle B is inside A and tangent to A. The circle B rotates so that,without slipping, it revolves once about A in the clockwise sense. Find the number and sense of rotations of B.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, where are you having trouble? Show what work have you done, so we can begin to help.

For number 1, I was thinking that when B revolves clockwise,A will also rotate by the same distance,so i was thinking that the answer will be 1.5 times and counterclockwise because then B will have traveled 3pi and A will also have traveled 3pi which adds up to the circumfrence of A..but the answer turn out to be two times which i do not get.

Last edited:
wataru611 said:
For number 1, I was thinking that when B revolves clockwise,A will also rotate by the same distance,so i was thinking that the answer will be 1.5 times and counterclockwise because then B will have traveled 3pi and A will also have traveled 3pi which adds up to the circumfrence of A..but the answer turn out to be two times which i do not get.

I don't think you are supposed to take A to rotate at all. Picture it fixed. The edge of B traces out a path that's 3 times its circumference and it rotates counterclockwise. But while it's doing that its center rotates once clockwise around the center of A. What's the total rotation of B about its center? Try sketching a picture.

um..thanks Dick..but i do not quite get the significance of its center rotateting once clockwise around the center of A. Wont B still rotate 3 times if A is not moving at all?..Why will be B rotating twice? Thank you so much

wataru611 said:
um..thanks Dick..but i do not quite get the significance of its center rotateting once clockwise around the center of A. Wont B still rotate 3 times if A is not moving at all?..Why will be B rotating twice? Thank you so much

If a circle rotates 3 times counterclockwise and then you twist it back one turn clockwise, don't you get rotation two times? The rotation of the center of B around the center of A is also turning B. I'm not sure words explain it very well. Again, sketch a picture.

Thanks Dick I just tried it with two coins..and you that's the case,but it is still a bit counterintuitive..haha.i think i need some more time to totally get it but you thank you!

1. What is the purpose of the competition?

The purpose of the competition is to encourage problem-solving skills and innovation in the scientific community.

2. What are the two problems being presented in the competition?

The two problems being presented in the competition are (1) developing a sustainable solution for plastic waste management and (2) finding a cure for a rare genetic disease.

3. Who can participate in the competition?

The competition is open to scientists, researchers, and students who are interested in addressing the two problems presented.

4. What are the criteria for judging the solutions?

The solutions will be judged based on their feasibility, effectiveness, and innovation in addressing the two problems. Other factors such as sustainability and scalability may also be considered.

5. Is there a prize for winning the competition?

Yes, there will be a prize for the winning solution. The amount and nature of the prize will vary depending on the competition's sponsor and guidelines.