Solving Chapter 3 Problems in "How to Prove It

• Thread starter mrwall-e
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
Then divide both sides by the positive coefficient.That will tell you something about y.Not the original statement, but something else which is logically equivalent.That's all you have to do. :lol:In summary, the conversation discusses two problems from chapter 3 of the book "How to Prove It" and the difficulties one person is having with understanding and expressing mathematical proofs. The first problem involves proving an inequality with real numbers, while the second problem involves transposing and manipulating equations to prove another inequality. The conversation also touches on the concept of the contrapositive and the importance of being precise in mathematical proofs.
mrwall-e
Two problems from chapter 3 of "How to Prove It" I just cannot get my head around

The thing I hate about proving things is that I can always think it through in my head, but don't know how to express it mathematically for a sound proof.

Homework Statement

7) Suppose a, b, c, and d are real numbers, 0 < a < b, and d > 0. Prove that if ac >= bd then c > d.

8) Suppose x and y are real numbers, and 3x + 2y >= 5. Prove that if x > 1 then y < 1.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

7) We will prove the contrapositive. Suppose d > c. Thus, multiplying the inequality by any constant a will result in ad > ac. This is where I get stuck - something so simple, but I can't think of a sound way to prove it.

8) Suppose x > 1. Thus, 3x > 3. Then, by the transitive property (?) 3x > 5 - 2y. Therefore, 5 - 2y < 3. Subtracting 5 from both sides yields -2y < -2. This is equivalent to y < 1. Therefore, assuming 3x >= 5 - 2y, if x > 1 then y < 1. But this is not sound, because there is no transitive property?

Thanks

PS. This actually isn't a homework question.. but it's in the form of one so I figured put it here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

mrwall-e said:
The thing I hate about proving things is that I can always think it through in my head, but don't know how to express it mathematically for a sound proof.

Homework Statement

7) Suppose a, b, c, and d are real numbers, 0 < a < b, and d > 0. Prove that if ac >= bd then c > d.

8) Suppose x and y are real numbers, and 3x + 2y >= 5. Prove that if x > 1 then y < 1.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

7) We will prove the contrapositive. Suppose d > c. Thus, multiplying the inequality by any constant a will result in ad > ac. This is where I get stuck - something so simple, but I can't think of a sound way to prove it.

8) Suppose x > 1. Thus, 3x > 3. Then, by the transitive property (?) 3x > 5 - 2y. Therefore, 5 - 2y < 3. Subtracting 5 from both sides yields -2y < -2. This is equivalent to y < 1. Therefore, assuming 3x >= 5 - 2y, if x > 1 then y < 1. But this is not sound, because there is no transitive property?

Thanks

PS. This actually isn't a homework question.. but it's in the form of one so I figured put it here.

Taking the first example, we know a,b and d are positive - we were told so.

if ac >= bd we could divide both sides by a to get c >=bd/a = d. b/a

[Note if b was negative, we would have to have reversed the inequality]

Second,

Tranpose to make y the subject and see what happens.

PeterO said:
Taking the first example, we know a,b and d are positive - we were told so.

if ac >= bd we could divide both sides by a to get c >=bd/a = d. b/a

[Note if b was negative, we would have to have reversed the inequality]

I assume you mean:

if ac >= bd we can divide both sides by a to get c >= bd/a which equals dc >= b / a? but then what?

PeterO said:
Second,

Tranpose to make y the subject and see what happens.

So, proving the contrapositive with y instead of x? Okay...:

We will prove the contrapositive. Suppose 3x + 2y <= 5, and y > 1. Thus, 2y > 2. Returning to the original inequality, this means that 3x < 3, thus x < 1. Therefore, if 3x + 2y >= 5 and x > 1, then y < 1.

I hope I understood you correctly... thanks for all your help :)

mrwall-e said:
Suppose x and y are real numbers, and 3x + 2y >= 5. Prove that if x > 1 then y < 1.

Suppose x > 1. Thus, 3x > 3. Then, by the transitive property (?) 3x > 5 - 2y. Therefore, 5 - 2y < 3. Subtracting 5 from both sides yields -2y < -2. This is equivalent to y < 1. Therefore, assuming 3x >= 5 - 2y, if x > 1 then y < 1.

I don't like your working. I think the answer in the book is wrong. :cry:

Given 3x + 2y >= 5
Rearrange as: 3x - 5 >= -2y

Given x > 1, then LHS is always greater than -2

so the inequality becomes: -2 > -2y

Now, divide both sides by -2 and reverse the inequality,
(OR, instead, if you prefer, add 2 + 2y to both sides)

and we end up with a solution different from what you were aiming for.

That probably explains why you were having trouble getting the right answer. :smile:

mrwall-e said:
I assume you mean:

if ac >= bd we can divide both sides by a to get c >= bd/a which equals dc >= b / a? but then what?

I am not sure why you did what you did?

Have you forgotten you were trying to prove that c > d ??

b/a >1, since 0 < a < b

So what do you think the line c>= d (b/a) tells you??

mrwall-e said:
So, proving the contrapositive with y instead of x? Okay...:

We will prove the contrapositive. Suppose 3x + 2y <= 5, and y > 1. Thus, 2y > 2. Returning to the original inequality, this means that 3x < 3, thus x < 1. Therefore, if 3x + 2y >= 5 and x > 1, then y < 1.

I hope I understood you correctly... thanks for all your help :)

WHy all this contra positive stuff?

Transpose to make y the subject.

The subject is on the left hand side

y is to be the subject. Not 2y, and certainly not -2y

Once you have transposed it will either read y <= ... or y >= ...

by the way, are x and y restricted to integers/whole numbers? or might x > 1 mean x = 1.15 is a possible value?

I'm going to differ from the other responders and say that I think your approach to 7) is fine. Proving the contrapositive seems like the natural approach to me as well; it is certainly simpler than a direct proof.

mrwall-e said:

This is almost sound; there is only one mistake so far. What is the contrapositive of "ac >= bd implies c > d?" (Hint: Be very careful of > versus >= signs. These will matter in the proof.)

For the next step, consider the relationship between bd and ad. How does that fit into the chain of inequalities?

mrwall-e said:

It should always be sound to add or subtract something from both sides of an inequality. Try doing this to isolate the "2y" term, and then build a chain of inequalities.

1. How do I approach solving Chapter 3 problems in "How to Prove It"?

When solving Chapter 3 problems in "How to Prove It", it is important to first carefully read the problem statement and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, identify any given information or assumptions that can be used in the proof. From there, you can use the techniques and strategies outlined in the book, such as direct proof, proof by contrapositive, or proof by contradiction, to construct a logical and well-supported proof.

2. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a problem in Chapter 3?

If you get stuck while solving a problem in Chapter 3, try re-reading the problem and all given information to see if you may have missed something. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different proof technique. It may also be helpful to consult with a classmate or instructor for guidance and clarification.

3. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Chapter 3 problems?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to be aware of when solving Chapter 3 problems. These include assuming what you are trying to prove, using circular reasoning, and not clearly defining or explaining your steps in the proof. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure each step follows logically from the previous ones.

4. How can I check if my proof is correct?

One way to check if your proof is correct is to re-read it and make sure each step follows logically from the previous ones. You can also try to find a counterexample or counterargument to your proof to see if it holds up. Additionally, you can ask a classmate or instructor to review your proof and provide feedback.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Chapter 3?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Chapter 3, it is important to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This could include working through additional practice problems, discussing proofs with classmates, and seeking out challenging problems to solve. It can also be helpful to review and reflect on your solutions, identifying areas where you may need to improve or clarify your reasoning.