Two problems on Conic Questions that are getting me stuck

• Thread starter haree08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: X - m2X Substituting this into the equation of the curve given, we get: (a^2 - X)(m1x - m2x)^2 + 2XY + (b^2 - Y^2) = 0 Expanding and rearranging, we get: (a^2 - X)(m1^2 - m2^2)x^2 + 2XY + (b^2 - Y^2) = 0 This is a quadratic equation in terms of x, which means that the slopes m1 and m2 must be its roots. If the tangents are perpendicular, we know that m1m2 = -1. Sub
haree08
a) The point (x,y) is equidistant from the circle x^2 +y^2 = 1 and the point (2,0). Show that (x,y) must lie on the curve (x-1)^2 +y^2 = 4(x-(5/4))^2. Show that this curve is a hyperbola.

b) If two tangents with slopes m1, m2 intersect at a point (X,Y) show that m1 and m2 must be the roots of the quadratic equation:
(a^2 - X) m^2 +2XY + (b^2 - Y^2) = 0
and deduce that if the tangents are perpendicular to each other, the point (X,Y) lies on a circle, centre the origin.

a) I am unsure how to show that the point MUST lie on the curve. All I can think of doing is finding a point that I know is equidistant between the curve and point, and then substituting these values into the equation of the curve? i.e. (1.5,0). Is this the correct way to approach this part of the problem.
To show that the curve is a hyperbola, do I just need to rearrange the equation they have given me into the form of a hyperbola ie. (x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1) If so I have done this, and I have an equation that resembles a hyperbola, but I'm not sure this really SHOWS that the curve is a hyperbola. I think maybe I am missing something, any help would be great!

b) I don't know I am totally stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org

a) To show that the point (x,y) must lie on the curve, we can use the definition of equidistance. If a point is equidistant from two points, it must lie on the perpendicular bisector of the line segment connecting those two points. In this case, the two points are (2,0) and the point on the circle (x,y).

The midpoint of the line segment connecting these two points is (1,0). So, the equation of the perpendicular bisector is x = 1.

Now, we can substitute this value of x into the equation of the circle to get:

(1)^2 + y^2 = 1

Simplifying, we get y^2 = 0, which means y = 0.

So, the point (x,y) must have a y-coordinate of 0, which means it lies on the x-axis.

Substituting this into the equation of the circle, we get:

x^2 + (0)^2 = 1

Simplifying, we get x = ±1.

So, the point (x,y) must have an x-coordinate of ±1, which means it lies on the line x = ±1.

Substituting these values into the equation of the curve given, we get:

(x-1)^2 + (0)^2 = 4(x-(5/4))^2

Simplifying, we get x^2 - 2x + 1 = 4x^2 - 20x + 25

Rearranging, we get 3x^2 - 22x + 24 = 0

This is the equation of a hyperbola, since the coefficient of x^2 is positive.

b) To show that m1 and m2 must be the roots of the quadratic equation, we can use the fact that they are the slopes of the tangents at the point (X,Y).

The equation of a tangent to a curve at a point (X,Y) can be written as:

y - Y = m(x - X)

Substituting the slopes m1 and m2, we get:

y - Y = m1(x - X) and

y - Y = m2(x - X)

Solving these two equations simultaneously, we get:

m1x - m2x

What are conic questions?

Conic questions are mathematical problems that involve conic sections, which are geometric shapes formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. These shapes include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

What are the two problems on conic questions that are commonly encountered?

The two problems on conic questions that are commonly encountered are finding the equation of a conic section and graphing a conic section.

What makes these two problems challenging?

These two problems can be challenging because they require a good understanding of the properties and equations of conic sections, as well as the ability to use algebraic manipulations and graphical techniques to solve them.

What are some tips for solving conic questions?

Some tips for solving conic questions include identifying the type of conic section involved, using the general equations for each type of conic section, and using the properties of conic sections to simplify the problem. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of conic questions to become more familiar with the concepts and techniques involved.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving conic questions?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving conic questions include using the wrong equations for a particular type of conic section, making algebraic errors, and misinterpreting the properties of conic sections. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with algebraic manipulations to avoid these mistakes.