Two Projectile Motion Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cannon being fired at a target 2000m away and 800m above the cannon's starting point. The necessary angle to hit the target is being sought after, but the individual is struggling to derive the correct equation. They suggest combining the x and y component equations to solve for the angle, but the resulting equation is complex. Another individual suggests using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation.
tuna_wasabi
I'll post these in two messages to make this easier. First problem:
A cannon with a muzzle speed of 1000 m/s is fired at a target 2000m away horizontally and 800m above the cannon vertically. Find the necessary angle to hit the target.
I'm pretty stuck on this one. I've tried juggling all the kinematics equations but the best I can do is solve x=v*cos(theta)*t for t and drop it into y=(1/2)gt^2 + v*sin(theta)*t. This yields the standard Range equation, but I can't solve that for theta. I'm just not sure how to derive the right equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind the second problem, I figured it out as I was typing it. Thanks in advance.

First off, gravity counters the vertical motion of the cannon ball. Your y-equation should thus be y(t)=-(1/2)gt^2+v*sin(theta)*t

To find theta you will need to determine how long it will take the ball to x(t)=2000m. Once you have found 't' you can then substitute it into your y-equation and solve for theta.

Yes, but to know how long it takes the ball to travel 2000m along the ground I need to know the x-component of the initial velocity. But I can't get the x-component without theta, which is what I'm trying to find.

You could always combine the x and y component equations (eliminating t in the process), and solve the resulting equation for the angle, it would probably involve more work, but it would work best overall.

As stated above, I've tried that. Solving x=vi*cos(theta)t for t and putting into y=(1/2)gt^2 + v*sin(theta)*t yields the standard projectile motion range equation, which is [deep breath]:

y = tan(theta)*x - [(g*x^2)/(2*vi^2*cos^2(theta))]

If you can solve that for theta, I will bow to your awesome trig skills.

Try using

[tex]
\frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} = sec^2 \theta [/tex]

[tex]sec^2\theta = 1 + \tan^2 \theta [/tex]

and solve for [itex] \tan \theta [/itex].

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves through the air under the influence of gravity. The path of the object is a curved trajectory, rather than a straight line, due to the combined effects of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What are the two main types of projectile motion problems?

The two main types of projectile motion problems are horizontal projectile motion and vertical projectile motion. In horizontal projectile motion, the object moves horizontally with a constant velocity while also experiencing a constant downward acceleration due to gravity. In vertical projectile motion, the object moves both horizontally and vertically, with the vertical component experiencing a constant downward acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you calculate the initial velocity in a projectile motion problem?

The initial velocity in a projectile motion problem can be calculated by using the following formula: V0 = V * cosθ, where V is the initial velocity of the object, and θ is the angle at which the object is launched or thrown.

4. What is the significance of the angle of launch in a projectile motion problem?

The angle of launch in a projectile motion problem determines the trajectory of the object and the maximum height it will reach. For example, a launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the maximum horizontal distance traveled by the object.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. In most cases, the effects of air resistance are negligible, but for objects with a large surface area or high speeds, it can significantly impact their motion. In these cases, more complex equations and calculations may be needed to accurately model the motion of the object.