1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two protons collding

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to protons coliding - they have same magnitude of velocity and momentum and they collide head-on:

p + p -> p + (p + p_) (the "p_" is an anti-proton).

I have to find the minimum combined kinetic energy of the two protons for this process to run.

3. The attempt at a solution

I use P_total = P_1 + P_2 <=>

(all the masses squared ...) * c^2 = (P_1 + P_2)^2.

But this is where I encounter my problem. The 4-vector for e.g. P_1 is [E/c ; gamma*m*v] - I don't know v?

Is there another way of doing this?

- another thing: When I have found the total energy, do I have to subtract it with the rest mass of a proton x 2 (2*m_p*c^2) to find combined kinetic energy ?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You don't know v because that's what you're trying to find: if you knew v, you would know the total energy (and yes you have to subtract the rest energy to get the kinetic energy).

You've written P_1 in components; what is P_2 ? Then, what is P_1 + P_2 ?

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    I want to find E - finding E and v is overkill, isn't it?

1) P_2 = [E/c ; -gamma*m*v]

2) P_1 + P_2 = 2E/c?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  5. Oct 31, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Yes, finding v is overkill. And more precisely, P_1 + P_2 = [2E/c; 0].

6. Nov 1, 2007 #5

clem

Science Advisor

"p + p -> p + (p + p_) (the "p_" is an anti-proton)"

You must mean -->p+p+(p+p_)
    You need a cm energy W=4M.
    The initial cm energy is W=(T+2M).
    Solve for T.

7. Nov 1, 2007 #6
    So I get that T = 2*M?

I have another question, related to the first post. If one of the protons are at rest, I have to find the kinetic energy for the process to begin:

I would use that P_1 + P_2 = P_f (of the 4 protons) - so

2*m^2*c^2 + 2*E*m = 4m^2 * c^2 (I have squred it)

Two questions for that equation:

1) Is it correct?

2) When I have 4m^2 * c^2, how do I do this? (938 MeV/c^2)^2 * c^2 or what? So 4m^2 * c^2 = 938 ^2?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  8. Nov 1, 2007 #7
    If I do what Clem did in his post for the second scenario (where one proton is in rest, other is moving), I get that:

W = 4M

W_cm = (T+M), so T = 3M? Does that make sence?

9. Nov 1, 2007 #8
    Ok, the two questions in my post are solved (#1 and #2). Now the original question - where the 2 protons have equal magnitude momentum - still remains.

This is what I have so far:

(P_1 + P_2)^2 = P_f^2 <=>

(2E/c;0)^2 = 16*m^2*c^2 <=>

4E^2/c2^2 = 16*m^2*c^2, where I find the total energy E and use: E - 2*m*c^2 = E_kinetic.

Is this correct? I can use this method for all particles as long as I change the masses, right?

10. Nov 1, 2007 #9
    Guys, I solved the problem.. I forgot that I found the total energy for EACH proton, not the total total-energy for both particles.. that's why my result didn't add up.

Sorry for posting so many times, but all my problems are solved now - thanks.

11. Nov 1, 2007 #10

clem

Science Advisor

"I have another question, related to the first post. If one of the protons are at rest, I have to find the kinetic energy for the process to begin:"

If p_2=0 (at rest), then
    W^2=(E_1+M)^2-(p_1)^2=2M^2+2ME_1.
    This equals (4M)^2.
    Solve for E_1. Then T_1=E_1-M=6M.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?