Two Protons Colliding - Finding Minimum Kinetic Energy

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protons
In summary: Therefore, the process will start when either proton (p_1 or p_2) has a kinetic energy of 6M or greater.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have to protons coliding - they have same magnitude of velocity and momentum and they collide head-on:

p + p -> p + (p + p_) (the "p_" is an anti-proton).

I have to find the minimum combined kinetic energy of the two protons for this process to run.

The Attempt at a Solution

I use P_total = P_1 + P_2 <=>

(all the masses squared ...) * c^2 = (P_1 + P_2)^2.

But this is where I encounter my problem. The 4-vector for e.g. P_1 is [E/c ; gamma*m*v] - I don't know v?

Is there another way of doing this?

- another thing: When I have found the total energy, do I have to subtract it with the rest mass of a proton x 2 (2*m_p*c^2) to find combined kinetic energy ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't know v because that's what you're trying to find: if you knew v, you would know the total energy (and yes you have to subtract the rest energy to get the kinetic energy).

You've written P_1 in components; what is P_2 ? Then, what is P_1 + P_2 ?

I want to find E - finding E and v is overkill, isn't it?

1) P_2 = [E/c ; -gamma*m*v]

2) P_1 + P_2 = 2E/c?

Last edited:
Yes, finding v is overkill. And more precisely, P_1 + P_2 = [2E/c; 0].

"p + p -> p + (p + p_) (the "p_" is an anti-proton)"

You must mean -->p+p+(p+p_)
You need a cm energy W=4M.
The initial cm energy is W=(T+2M).
Solve for T.

clem said:
"p + p -> p + (p + p_) (the "p_" is an anti-proton)"

You must mean -->p+p+(p+p_)
You need a cm energy W=4M.
The initial cm energy is W=(T+2M).
Solve for T.

So I get that T = 2*M?

I have another question, related to the first post. If one of the protons are at rest, I have to find the kinetic energy for the process to begin:

I would use that P_1 + P_2 = P_f (of the 4 protons) - so

2*m^2*c^2 + 2*E*m = 4m^2 * c^2 (I have squred it)

Two questions for that equation:

1) Is it correct?

2) When I have 4m^2 * c^2, how do I do this? (938 MeV/c^2)^2 * c^2 or what? So 4m^2 * c^2 = 938 ^2?

Last edited:
If I do what Clem did in his post for the second scenario (where one proton is in rest, other is moving), I get that:

W = 4M

W_cm = (T+M), so T = 3M? Does that make sence?

Ok, the two questions in my post are solved (#1 and #2). Now the original question - where the 2 protons have equal magnitude momentum - still remains.

This is what I have so far:

(P_1 + P_2)^2 = P_f^2 <=>

(2E/c;0)^2 = 16*m^2*c^2 <=>

4E^2/c2^2 = 16*m^2*c^2, where I find the total energy E and use: E - 2*m*c^2 = E_kinetic.

Is this correct? I can use this method for all particles as long as I change the masses, right?

Guys, I solved the problem.. I forgot that I found the total energy for EACH proton, not the total total-energy for both particles.. that's why my result didn't add up.

Sorry for posting so many times, but all my problems are solved now - thanks.

"I have another question, related to the first post. If one of the protons are at rest, I have to find the kinetic energy for the process to begin:"

If p_2=0 (at rest), then
W^2=(E_1+M)^2-(p_1)^2=2M^2+2ME_1.
This equals (4M)^2.
Solve for E_1. Then T_1=E_1-M=6M.

1. What is the concept of "Two Protons Colliding"?

Two protons colliding refers to a process in which two positively charged particles, known as protons, move towards each other and collide with one another. This is a common phenomenon that occurs in particle accelerators and is used to study the fundamental properties of matter.

2. How is the minimum kinetic energy calculated in a collision between two protons?

The minimum kinetic energy in a proton collision is calculated using the conservation of energy principle. This means that the total energy before the collision must be equal to the total energy after the collision. Therefore, the minimum kinetic energy can be determined by considering the masses and velocities of the protons before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the minimum kinetic energy in a proton collision?

The minimum kinetic energy in a proton collision is affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the protons, the distance between them, and any external forces acting on the particles. Additionally, the type of collision (elastic or inelastic) will also impact the minimum kinetic energy.

4. What is the significance of finding the minimum kinetic energy in a proton collision?

Finding the minimum kinetic energy in a proton collision is important because it allows scientists to determine the energy threshold required for certain reactions to occur. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles and can also help in designing experiments and particle accelerators.

5. How is the minimum kinetic energy in a proton collision experimentally measured?

The minimum kinetic energy in a proton collision can be measured experimentally using particle detectors. These detectors can track the trajectories of the particles before and after the collision and determine their velocities. By knowing the masses of the particles, the minimum kinetic energy can be calculated using the conservation of energy principle.