1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Puck Colliding

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Suppose there are two puck of equal mass. That the first puck moves to the east at a velocity of 3.6 m/s while the second one is at rest. Then there is an elastic collision. The first puck moves at an angle theta north of east with a velocity of 1.3 m/s. The second puck moves south of east at angle phi. What is the angle theta?

I have attempted the problem but haven't gotten it to work out yet. Here is what I did.

Momentum in the x direction:
    [tex]v_{1i}=v_{1f}*cos(\theta )+v_{2f}cos(\phi )[/tex]

Momentum in the y direction:
    [tex]0=v_{1f}*sin(\theta )+v_{2f}sin(\phi )[/tex]

Consevation of Energy:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you can get v2 from the conservation of energy equation, and then you have 2 equations and the two unknown angles....
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    I have a hard time solving the equations once I get them.

From energy we can say:

From y momentum we get:
    [tex]sin(\phi )=\frac{-v_{1f}*sin(\theta )}{v_{2f}}[/tex]

From the x momentum we get:
    [tex]cos(\phi )=\frac{v_{1i}-v_{1f}*cos(\theta )}{v_{2f}}[/tex]

Here is the trick. I draw the triangles then I say that the adjacent legs are the same value since both have the same hypotnuse v2f and the same angle phi.
    [tex]v_{1i}-v_{1f}*cos(\theta )=\sqrt{v_{2f}^2-(v_{1f}*sin(\phi )^2}[/tex]

From here it is possible to solve I just wondered if anyone knew any easier way.
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    Is the angle between the final velocity of the pucks supposed to be 90 degrees because when I worked it out I got something like 88.6 degrees???
  6. Oct 4, 2006 #5
    I read that it is always 90 degrees so I guess I can say:

90= theta - phi

since phi is going in the negative direction.

Then I could use the double angle thereom which might be a little easier. The final expression I ended up with was:

[tex]cos(\theta )=\frac{V_{1f}}{V_{1i}}[/tex]

Which seems so simple, yet I had to go through so many hoops to get it. I feel like there must be some short cut.
  7. Oct 5, 2006 #6
    yep it is much easier to say that:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?