1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Questions - calculus

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    First question:
    This first question is kind of weird. I'm not even sure where to go with it. If anyone has a hint, that would be awesome.

From [itex] \vec A \times \vec B = -\vec B \times \vec A [/itex] deduce [itex] \vec A \times \vec A = 0 [/itex]

Can it be as simple as:
    let [tex] \vec B = \vec A_0 | \vec A_0 = \vec A [/tex]
    thus: [tex] \vec A \times \vec A_0 = -\vec A_0 \times \vec A = 0 [/tex]

Second question:
    Find the minimum and maximum speed if [itex] x=t+\cos t [/itex], [itex]y=t-\sin t [/itex].

Please allow me to take advantage of the inner space operator for sake of ease while writing the vectors :)

[tex] \vec x = <t+\cos t,t-\sin t> [/tex]
    [tex] \vec v = <1-\sin t, 1-cos t> [/tex]

So speed is computed as: [itex] |\vec v| [/itex]. Therefore the largest speed values that can occur are when: [itex] \vec v = <1,2> or <2,1> [/itex] and the lowest speed values that can occur are when [itex] \vec v = <1,0> or <0,1> [/itex].

Is this reasoning even correct with this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

For the first one, I'm not sure what A0 is, but all you have to do is let B=A in the first identity. For the second, you might want to be a little more rigorous. You can find the extrema of the speed by:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} |\vec v|^2 = 0[/tex]

And use:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} |\vec v|^2 = \frac{d}{dt} (\vec v\cdot \vec v)[/tex]

Which will lead you to the equation:

[tex]\vec v \cdot \vec a = 0[/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  4. Jan 25, 2006 #3
    With the [itex] \vec A_0 = \vec A [/itex] I was just trying to show that I was plugging [itex] \vec A [/itex] into the expression. It really wasn't necessary and actually more confusing (I left this out of the homework).

For the second one. Cool :smile: Thank you. That's what I wasn't doing. I needed to find the extrema of the speed not of the velocity vector. I appreciate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?