What are the extreme values of the speed for a given parametric curve?

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, when solving for \vec A \times \vec B = -\vec B \times \vec A, it can be simplified by letting \vec B = \vec A_0 and using the properties of vectors. For the second question, the maximum and minimum speed can be found by taking the derivative of the speed formula and setting it equal to zero, leading to the equation \vec v \cdot \vec a = 0.
FrogPad
----
First question:
----
This first question is kind of weird. I'm not even sure where to go with it. If anyone has a hint, that would be awesome.

From [itex] \vec A \times \vec B = -\vec B \times \vec A [/itex] deduce [itex] \vec A \times \vec A = 0 [/itex]

Can it be as simple as:
let [tex] \vec B = \vec A_0 | \vec A_0 = \vec A [/tex]
thus: [tex] \vec A \times \vec A_0 = -\vec A_0 \times \vec A = 0 [/tex]

----
Second question:
----
Find the minimum and maximum speed if [itex] x=t+\cos t [/itex], [itex]y=t-\sin t [/itex].

Please allow me to take advantage of the inner space operator for sake of ease while writing the vectors :)

Thus:
[tex] \vec x = <t+\cos t,t-\sin t> [/tex]
[tex] \vec v = <1-\sin t, 1-cos t> [/tex]

So speed is computed as: [itex] |\vec v| [/itex]. Therefore the largest speed values that can occur are when: [itex] \vec v = <1,2> or <2,1> [/itex] and the lowest speed values that can occur are when [itex] \vec v = <1,0> or <0,1> [/itex].

Is this reasoning even correct with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, I'm not sure what A0 is, but all you have to do is let B=A in the first identity. For the second, you might want to be a little more rigorous. You can find the extrema of the speed by:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} |\vec v|^2 = 0[/tex]

And use:[tex]\frac{d}{dt} |\vec v|^2 = \frac{d}{dt} (\vec v\cdot \vec v)[/tex]

Which will lead you to the equation:

[tex]\vec v \cdot \vec a = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
With the [itex] \vec A_0 = \vec A [/itex] I was just trying to show that I was plugging [itex] \vec A [/itex] into the expression. It really wasn't necessary and actually more confusing (I left this out of the homework).

For the second one. Cool :smile: Thank you. That's what I wasn't doing. I needed to find the extrema of the speed not of the velocity vector. I appreciate it.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and continuous processes. It is used to model and analyze real-world situations that involve rates of change, such as motion, growth, and decay.

What are some applications of calculus?

Calculus has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems related to optimization, motion, growth, and decay, among others.

What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and the calculation of areas under curves.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the two branches of calculus, differential and integral calculus, are inverse operations of each other. This means that differentiation and integration are closely related, and they can be used to solve problems that involve rates of change and accumulation.

How can I learn calculus?

There are many resources available for learning calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is recommended to start with the basics of algebra and trigonometry before diving into calculus. Practicing problems and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial in understanding calculus concepts.