Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two Questions - calculus

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    ----
    First question:
    ----
    This first question is kind of weird. I'm not even sure where to go with it. If anyone has a hint, that would be awesome.

From [itex] \vec A \times \vec B = -\vec B \times \vec A [/itex] deduce [itex] \vec A \times \vec A = 0 [/itex]

Can it be as simple as:
    let [tex] \vec B = \vec A_0 | \vec A_0 = \vec A [/tex]
    thus: [tex] \vec A \times \vec A_0 = -\vec A_0 \times \vec A = 0 [/tex]

----
    Second question:
    ----
    Find the minimum and maximum speed if [itex] x=t+\cos t [/itex], [itex]y=t-\sin t [/itex].

Please allow me to take advantage of the inner space operator for sake of ease while writing the vectors :)

Thus:
    [tex] \vec x = <t+\cos t,t-\sin t> [/tex]
    [tex] \vec v = <1-\sin t, 1-cos t> [/tex]

So speed is computed as: [itex] |\vec v| [/itex]. Therefore the largest speed values that can occur are when: [itex] \vec v = <1,2> or <2,1> [/itex] and the lowest speed values that can occur are when [itex] \vec v = <1,0> or <0,1> [/itex].

Is this reasoning even correct with this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

For the first one, I'm not sure what A0 is, but all you have to do is let B=A in the first identity. For the second, you might want to be a little more rigorous. You can find the extrema of the speed by:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} |\vec v|^2 = 0[/tex]

And use:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} |\vec v|^2 = \frac{d}{dt} (\vec v\cdot \vec v)[/tex]

Which will lead you to the equation:

[tex]\vec v \cdot \vec a = 0[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  4. Jan 25, 2006 #3
    With the [itex] \vec A_0 = \vec A [/itex] I was just trying to show that I was plugging [itex] \vec A [/itex] into the expression. It really wasn't necessary and actually more confusing (I left this out of the homework).

For the second one. Cool :smile: Thank you. That's what I wasn't doing. I needed to find the extrema of the speed not of the velocity vector. I appreciate it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook