1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two questions in Sean Carroll's spacetime and geometry, 4.3

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    A question in Sean Carroll's spacetime and geometry, 4.3

(I have solved and removed the first question posted before, only the second left)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, my questions is , how to derive eqn (4.64)
    [tex]
    \delta \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\sigma} = - \frac{1}{2} [ g_{\lambda \mu} \nabla_{\nu} ( \delta g^{\lambda \sigma} ) + g_{\lambda \nu} \nabla_{\mu} ( \delta g^{\lambda \sigma}) - g_{\mu \alpha} g_{\nu \beta} \nabla^{\sigma} ( \delta g^{\alpha \beta}) ]
    [/tex]

in Sean Carroll's spacetime and geometry, section 4.3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For eqn(4.64), if I use the connection equation (3.27)
    [tex]
    \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\sigma} = \frac{1}{2} g^{\sigma \rho} ( \partial_{\mu} g_{\nu \rho } + \partial_{\nu} g_{\rho \mu} - \partial_{\rho} g_{\mu \nu} )
    [/tex]

Try to convert the partial derivative into the covariant derivative as eqn (3.17)

[tex]
    \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\sigma} &=& \frac{1}{2} g^{\sigma \rho} ( \nabla_{\mu} g_{\nu \rho } + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} + \Gamma_{\mu \rho}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \nu} + \nabla_{\nu} g_{\rho \mu} + \Gamma_{\nu \rho}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \mu} + \Gamma_{\nu \mu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} - \nabla_{\rho} g_{\mu \nu} - \Gamma_{\rho \mu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \nu} - \Gamma_{\rho \nu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} )
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{1}{2} g^{\sigma \rho} ( \nabla_{\mu} g_{\nu \rho } + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} + \nabla_{\nu} g_{\rho \mu} + \Gamma_{\nu \mu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} - \nabla_{\rho} g_{\mu \nu} )
    [/tex]

How to proceed to the right-hand-side of Sean Carroll's (4.64)?

Thank you very much!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted