Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two questions in Sean Carroll's spacetime and geometry, 4.3

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    A question in Sean Carroll's spacetime and geometry, 4.3

(I have solved and removed the first question posted before, only the second left)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, my questions is , how to derive eqn (4.64)
    [tex]
    \delta \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\sigma} = - \frac{1}{2} [ g_{\lambda \mu} \nabla_{\nu} ( \delta g^{\lambda \sigma} ) + g_{\lambda \nu} \nabla_{\mu} ( \delta g^{\lambda \sigma}) - g_{\mu \alpha} g_{\nu \beta} \nabla^{\sigma} ( \delta g^{\alpha \beta}) ]
    [/tex]

in Sean Carroll's spacetime and geometry, section 4.3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For eqn(4.64), if I use the connection equation (3.27)
    [tex]
    \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\sigma} = \frac{1}{2} g^{\sigma \rho} ( \partial_{\mu} g_{\nu \rho } + \partial_{\nu} g_{\rho \mu} - \partial_{\rho} g_{\mu \nu} )
    [/tex]

Try to convert the partial derivative into the covariant derivative as eqn (3.17)

[tex]
    \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\sigma} &=& \frac{1}{2} g^{\sigma \rho} ( \nabla_{\mu} g_{\nu \rho } + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} + \Gamma_{\mu \rho}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \nu} + \nabla_{\nu} g_{\rho \mu} + \Gamma_{\nu \rho}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \mu} + \Gamma_{\nu \mu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} - \nabla_{\rho} g_{\mu \nu} - \Gamma_{\rho \mu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \nu} - \Gamma_{\rho \nu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} )
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \frac{1}{2} g^{\sigma \rho} ( \nabla_{\mu} g_{\nu \rho } + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} + \nabla_{\nu} g_{\rho \mu} + \Gamma_{\nu \mu}^{\lambda} g_{\lambda \rho} - \nabla_{\rho} g_{\mu \nu} )
    [/tex]

How to proceed to the right-hand-side of Sean Carroll's (4.64)?

Thank you very much!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted