1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two questions involving factoring

1. Feb 22, 2005 #1
    Hello all. I have two questions involving factoring and I seem to be stuck.

1) [tex] 5x^\frac {1}{2} - 15x^\frac{3}{2} [/tex]

I tried it and got: [tex] 5x^\frac {1}{2} (1-3x) [/tex]
    I'm not too sure if you could go any further than this or if there's another way to approach this. The answer seems too simple and knowing my teacher, there's probably a more complicated one. Any thoughts?

2) [tex] 3(x-6)^2 + 2(x-6)^4 + \frac {3}{x-6} [/tex]

so far I got: [tex] 3(x-6)^3 + 2(x-6)^5 + 3 [/tex] and taking out a common factor of [tex] (x-6)^3 [/tex] I got: [tex] (x-6)^3 (3+2(x-6)^2) + 3 [/tex]
    I don't think this can be the simplest form so any suggestions or ideas? Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

xanthym

Science Advisor

#1) CORRECT

#2) You forgot to divide thru by (x - 6) after multiplying by (x - 6) in your first step, so your final answer should be:

[tex] \frac {(x-6)^3 (3+2(x-6)^2) + 3} {x - 6} [/tex]

~~

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3
    I have a question. Would it be correct then to simplify it even further by dividing the top [tex] (x-6)^3[/tex] with the bottom [tex] (x-6) [/tex] to get an answer of [tex] (x-6)^2 (3+2(x-6)^2)+3 [/tex] or no?

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4
    It would not be correct to do that because of the +3 on the end.

6. Feb 23, 2005 #5
    I should learn to look at the question more carefully. Thanks man.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?