Two questions on differential equations

In summary, the conversation involves finding a continuous solution with continuous first derivative for a given system, verifying a solution and showing the general solution for a non-homogeneous linear differential equation with constant coefficients. The conversation also discusses the use of partial differentiation and the product rule in solving the equation.
fudge
Any thoughts on how to to any of these! (I'm sorry if I'm insulting you but y' = dy/dx, etc!)

1)Find a continuous solution with continuous first derivative of the system:

y'' + 2y' + 2y = sin x + f(x)

subject to y(-pi/2)=y(pi)=0, where

f(x)= 0 (x<or= 0)
=x^2 (x>0)

2)You may ignore the first bits (i am including them just incase they're relavent for the last bit)

Verify y = x+1 is a soln of

(x^2-1)y'' + (x+1)y' - y = 0 *

Writing y=(x+1)u show that u'=0

hence show the gen soln of * is

y=K[0.25(x+1)ln((x-1)/(x+1))-0.5] + K'(x+1)

where K and K' are arbitary constants.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equation y'' + 2y' + 2y = sin x + f(x)
subject to y(-pi/2)=y(pi)=0.

I take it that you know how to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients and that the problem is just that f(x)= 0 if x<or= 0 and f(x)=x^2 if x>0.

Think of this first as the equation y'' + 2y' + 2y = sin x. Find the general solution to that equation. That will involve 2 unknown constants. Call that solution Y1(x).

Now, find the general solution to the non-homogeneous equation y''+ 2y'+ 2y= sin x+ x2. That will also involve 2 unknown constants. Call that solution Y2(x).

Use the fact that Y1(-pi/2)= 0, Y2(pi)= 0, Y1(0)= Y2=0 (the solution must be continuous at x=0) and Y1'(0)= Y2'(0) (the derivative of the solution must be continuous at x= 0) to get 4 equations to solve for the 4 unknown constants.

For the second question "Verify y = x+1 is a soln of (x^2-1)y'' + (x+1)y' - y = 0", you should be able to do that part. Find the first and second derivatives of x+1, put them into the equation and see what happens!
"Writing y=(x+1)u show that u'=0."
You can't prove that- it's not true. Unless I've made a stupid mistake (it's rather late!) y'= (x+1)u'+ u and y''= (x+1)u''+ 2u so the equation reduces to (x-1)u"+ 3u'= 0.

Thanks for the advice, I've tried it out and it works fine!

I made a very careless typing error for the second part:

"Writing y=(x+1)u show that u'=0"

I actually meant: u'=du/dx !

Sorry!

Is partial diffrentiation the way to go inorder to show:
du'/dx + [(3x-1)/(x^2-1)]u' = 0 ?

"Writing y=(x+1)u show that u'=0"

I actually meant: u'=du/dx !

Surely, you don't mean "show that u'= du/dx"? Isn't that how it's defined?

Is partial diffrentiation the way to go inorder to show:
du'/dx + [(3x-1)/(x^2-1)]u' = 0 ?
Partial differentiation has nothing to do with it. y is a function of the single variable x, u is a function of the single variable x. The product rule is all you need.

sorry, i am being very careless. I'll write it out again!

Verify y = x+1 is a soln of

(x^2-1)y'' + (x+1)y' - y = 0 *

Writing y=(x+1)u show that u' = du/dx satisfies:

du'/dx + [(3x-1)/(x^2-1)]u' = 0

Hence show the gen soln of * is

y=K[0.25(x+1)ln((x-1)/(x+1))-0.5] + K'(x+1)

where K and K' are arbitary constants.

Partial differentiation has nothing to do with it. y is a function of the single variable x, u is a function of the single variable x. The product rule is all you need. [/B]

Yes ofcourse, I'll try this (I am really concerned... i miss basic steps :frown:)

Thank you Halls

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a dependent variable changes in relation to one or more independent variables. It involves derivatives and can be used to model many physical, biological, and social systems.

2. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a general formula for the solution, while numerical solutions use algorithms and computers to approximate the solution.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model systems that vary in only one dimension, while partial differential equations are used for systems that vary in multiple dimensions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many real-world applications, including modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, analyzing chemical reactions, and designing electrical circuits. They are also used in fields like economics, medicine, and computer science.