1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Questions

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1
    A system is developed as shown in the diagram attached. The ball is initially given a push so that it falls onto a turbine connected to generator which produces electricity. After rotating the turbine the ball fall down a narrow tube with a valve into the water again the ball rises again and is again given a slight push and the whole process is repeated again and again. In this way energy is being "created". The question is: How does this machine obeys the principle of conservation of energy?
    Secondly, Why does a raider raiding a bike falls when the bike is stationary but does not fall when its moving? I know that this question has been asked before but I cant find it.
    Any help will be appreciated.:smile:
    (Pardon me for my bad english.)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you think it is possible to push the ball through the valve and into the water without doing any work?

4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
    No I dont. In my opinion the KE of the ball will be used to open the valve...

5. Feb 14, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And, of course, the ball will have lost some of its energy in turning the turbine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?