1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Questions

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    What is the general solution of

[itex]x^2y''+xy'-y=0[/itex]
    i tried a series solution [itex]y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n[/itex]
    and whitteld it down to

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n^2-1) a_n x^n=0[/itex] but this isn't getting me anywhere

secondly how do i show that x=0 is a regular point of
    [itex](1-x^2)y''-2xy'+2y=0[/itex]

the definition of a regular point is that :
    x0 is a regular point of y''+a1(x)y'+a0(x)y=0 if the coefficients a1 and a0 can be expressed as convergent power series in (x-x0) for this value of x0.

so if i rearrange our equation into the desired form i get that

[itex]a_1(x)=\frac{-2x}{1-x^2},a_2(x)=\frac{2}{1-x^2}[/itex]
    for x0=0, a1=0 and a2=2.

what do i say to round of my argument. something like:

"clearly 0 and 2 can be expressed as a convergent power series in x" or
    "clearly a1 and a0 arent singular for this value of x0"
    how do i round this off???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi latentcorpse - does you series solution imply all [tex]a_n[/tex] are zero except for a certain n?

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A series solution is not the best way to do this. Are you required to use series?

If so, look closely at lanedance's suggestion. If not, try y= xm for some number m.

For your second question, remember that a geometric series, [itex]\sum r^n[/itex] has sum 1/(1- r).

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4
    ok if i was just using series solution, i see now that [itex]a_1[/itex] will be non zero - is there any way of finding its value or is the solution just going to be [itex]y=a_1x[/itex]?

i amen't required to use series solutions but it was a past paper exam question and i couldnt think of any other way to do it - why did you decide to use that substitution?

i dont see how the geometric sum fits into this last bit either.

6. Apr 2, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You said you had [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n^2-1) a_n x^n=0[/itex].

For Every n, either [itex]a_n= 0[/itex] or [itex]n^2- 1= 0[/itex].

The reason I suggested xm is that (xm)'= mxm-1 and (xm)"= m(m-1)xm-1. so that x(xm)'= mxm and x2(xm)"= m(m-1)xm so every term has the same power of x.

Finally, since the sum of the geometric series [itex]\sum ar^n[/itex] is [itex]a/(1- r)[/itex], [itex]2/(1-x^2)[/itex] can be written as [itex]\sum 2(x^2)^n= \sum 2x^{2n}[/itex]. [itex]2x/(1- x^2)[/itex] is just that multiplied by x: [itex]\sum 2x^{2n+1}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook