1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two quick questions - circuits

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

#1 A power source produces a "sawtooth" wave of current, reversing direction at 1s. After 2s (The current starts at 0, reaches 1 amp at 1 second, reverses direction to -1 amp, and then reaches 0 again at 2 seconds), calculate the total energy supplied to a 5000 ohm resistor.

#2 Different measurements are taken by attaching various resistors R across a cell terminal and recording the voltages and corresponding currents I. From the graph, find

(a) the open circuit voltage of the cell.
    (b) the short-circuit current
    (c) the maximum power that the cell can deliver to an external resistance.

The graph is a negative linear line. V on the x-axis, I on the y-axis. The starting point is at () V, 3 amps) and the end point is at (1 V, 0 amps).

2. The attempt at a solution

#1 - Energy = C (charge) x V, so I'm tempted to say that energy is zero because the current is positive for the first second and negative for the second, thus they should cancel.

#2 - I'm not sure what the open/short circuits are referring to... could anyone clarify? As for c, power P = V*I, but at what point is this maximum?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

For the first one, use E=I2Rt to find the energy for the two directions.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3
    The current is not constant, so how could I use that equation? Here are the graphs I described:

asn.jpg

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4
  6. Jan 7, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Integrate: energy = ∫ power dt = ∫ I2R dt.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6
    You know [tex]I(t)[/tex] over the relevant intervals. You said it yourself, the current is a function of time. You can't just say that [tex]\int I^2 dt = I^2 t[/tex]
    That's not true when [tex]I[/tex] is a function of time!

Use the differential form:
    [tex]P=\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] to rewrite: [tex]dE=I^2 R dt[/tex] and then integrate over the relevant intervals.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. Jan 7, 2010 #7
    So integrating both sides yields:

energy = ∫ I2R dt

What function am I integrating though? All I have is this graph :(...something to do with a Sin wave perhaps?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. Jan 7, 2010 #8
    Find the current as a function of time over the two relevant intervals. You drew a perfect diagram of a linearly rising current, now just derive its equation!

10. Jan 7, 2010 #9
    Can I approximate the sawtooth as two integrals,
    I(t) = t for t=0 to t=1
    and
    I(t) = t - 2 for t=1 to t=2

Doing this and integrating, I get 0 for energy.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  11. Jan 7, 2010 #10
    Square of the current!

12. Jan 7, 2010 #11
    Oops. After squaring I(t) for both integrals, I'm getting 10000/3 for E. Does this make sense? I was expecting zero.

13. Jan 7, 2010 #12
    It's correct. The power supplied to a resistor is always positive if there is a nonzero current. if the power supplied could become negative, then the resistor would be supplying power to the battery. This power is equal to [itex] I^2R [/itex] wich is always positive as well.

14. Jan 7, 2010 #13
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Could someone confirm these answers for the second question?
    a) 1 volt
    b) 3 amp

for c)... The equation for I=3-3V so the power would be P=IV=3V-3V^2, right?

This has a maximum when dP/dV =0 = 3-6V or V=1/2.

so Pmax =(3-3(1/2))*(1/2)= 3/4?

15. Jan 8, 2010 #14
    Haha I'm in your class! but yes I got the same answers as you did for that problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook