1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Real Analysis Questions

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1
    1.) Suppose f:[a,b]->R and g:[a,b]->R are continuous such that f(a)<=g(a) and f(b)=>g(b). Prove that f(c)=g(c) for some c in [a,b].

I started out by using the Intermediate Value Property for some c1 and c2 with f(c1)=L1 and g(c2)=L2. I am trying to conclude that L1=L2. This was one approach. Then, I also tried setting up a ratio where f(a)/g(a) > 1 and f(b)/g(b) < 1 by assumption. These are continuous if g !=0, so there must exist a point where f/g = 1. But, what if g(x)=0. This method seems to fall apart as well, and now i'm stuck.

2.) Let f:[0,1]->[0,1] be a continuous function. Prove that f must have a fixed point; that is, show f(x)=x for some x in [0,1]. I'm trying to show that f must intersect the graph g(x)=x by using the IVP again. Don't quite know how, though. Seems that if I figure out the first problem, this one would be very similiar.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint for 1. Consider the function h(x)=f(x)-g(x) and apply the intermediate value theorem.

2 is easy once you know 1.
  4. Dec 2, 2005 #3
    Wow... I tell ya, sometimes I just feel like a moron with how obvious some of these proofs are.

Thanks for your help, both of these problems were cake.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?