Calculating Voltages Across Resistors Using Ohm's Law

In summary, the voltages across the two resistors are 12V when the voltmeter is connected in parallel.
Rugile

Homework Statement

Two resistors are connected in series to an ideal battery. When the voltmeter is connected in parallel to one of the resistors, it showed 6V; when connected in parallel to another resistor it showed 4V. When the voltmeter was connected in parallel to both resistors (connected to pins A and B, see attachment) it showed 12V. What were the voltages across both resistors before the voltmeter was connected?

Homework Equations

Ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess we can say from the third measurement that the voltage of the supply is 12V. Now the voltage across the first resistor is normally [itex] V_1 = V * \frac{R_1}{R_1 + R_2}[/itex], where V is the supply voltage. Although when the voltmeter is connected due to its internal resistance the voltage across 1st resistor changes; then the voltage across the voltmeter and the first resistor is [itex] V_1' = V * \frac{R_{01}}{R_{01}+R2}[/itex], and [itex] R_{01} = \frac{R_1 * r}{R_1 + r} [/itex], r is the voltmeter resistance. Thus [itex] V_1' = V * \frac{R_1r}{R_1r + R_2R_1 + R_2r}[/itex]. Same calculations can be made for the second resistor. Is that right? I can't figure out what to do next - any help appreciated.

Attachments

• pf.png
    pf.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
So you have expressions for ##V_1'## and for ## V_2'##. You know the ratio is 4/6. What does that say about ##R_1/R_2## ?

Likes 1 person
Rugile said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess we can say from the third measurement that the voltage of the supply is 12V. Now the voltage across the first resistor is normally [itex] V_1 = V * \frac{R_1}{R_1 + R_2}[/itex],

The question is what would be the voltages without the voltmeter. You wrote the expression for V1, you can write it in terms of R2/R1. On the same way, you can find V2 in terms of R1/R2.

R1/R2 can be found from the ratio of the measured voltages, as BvU suggested.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Yes, thank you very much! Was quite close to the answer myself, I guess :)

Yes, you were quite close, needed just a little push:smile:

ehild

1. What is the purpose of a voltmeter?

A voltmeter is a tool used to measure the voltage or potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is typically used to ensure that the correct amount of voltage is being supplied to a circuit or to troubleshoot any issues with the circuit.

2. How do I connect two resistors to a voltmeter?

To connect two resistors to a voltmeter, you will need to create a simple series circuit. This means that the resistors are connected one after the other, with no branching off. One end of the first resistor should be connected to the positive terminal of the voltmeter, and the other end of the second resistor should be connected to the negative terminal of the voltmeter.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single pathway for the current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, creating multiple pathways for the current to flow through. This results in different overall resistance and voltage readings for each type of circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This means you can add up the resistance values of each resistor in the circuit to find the total resistance. For example, if you have two resistors with values of 10 ohms and 15 ohms, the total resistance would be 25 ohms (10 + 15 = 25).

5. Why is it important to use a voltmeter when working with resistors?

A voltmeter is important when working with resistors because it allows you to measure the voltage across the resistors. This can help you determine if the resistors are functioning correctly and if the circuit is receiving the correct amount of voltage. It can also help you troubleshoot any issues with the circuit and ensure that it is operating safely.