1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two resistors and voltmeter

1. May 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two resistors are connected in series to an ideal battery. When the voltmeter is connected in parallel to one of the resistors, it showed 6V; when connected in parallel to another resistor it showed 4V. When the voltmeter was connected in parallel to both resistors (connected to pins A and B, see attachment) it showed 12V. What were the voltages across both resistors before the voltmeter was connected?

2. Relevant equations

Ohm's law

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess we can say from the third measurement that the voltage of the supply is 12V. Now the voltage across the first resistor is normally [itex] V_1 = V * \frac{R_1}{R_1 + R_2}[/itex], where V is the supply voltage. Although when the voltmeter is connected due to its internal resistance the voltage across 1st resistor changes; then the voltage across the voltmeter and the first resistor is [itex] V_1' = V * \frac{R_{01}}{R_{01}+R2}[/itex], and [itex] R_{01} = \frac{R_1 * r}{R_1 + r} [/itex], r is the voltmeter resistance. Thus [itex] V_1' = V * \frac{R_1r}{R_1r + R_2R_1 + R_2r}[/itex]. Same calculations can be made for the second resistor. Is that right? I can't figure out what to do next - any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

• pf.png
      pf.png
      File size:
      2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you have expressions for ##V_1'## and for ## V_2'##. You know the ratio is 4/6. What does that say about ##R_1/R_2## ?

4. May 4, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question is what would be the voltages without the voltmeter. You wrote the expression for V1, you can write it in terms of R2/R1. On the same way, you can find V2 in terms of R1/R2.

R1/R2 can be found from the ratio of the measured voltages, as BvU suggested.

ehild

5. May 4, 2014 #4
    Yes, thank you very much! Was quite close to the answer myself, I guess :)

6. May 4, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you were quite close, needed just a little push:smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted