Solving RPM Problems: Understanding Maximum Speed and Revolutions

• Thread starter sybozo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rpm
In summary, the conversation includes two questions: one about finding the max rpm speed given a certain percentage and the other about determining the number of revolutions a gear completes in 30 seconds. The first question involves converting the given percentage to a decimal and using the frequency formula, while the second question involves using the formula f=1/T with T being the time it takes for the gear to complete 1 revolution. The conversation also includes some confusion and doubts about the concepts being discussed.
sybozo

Homework Statement

Q1) If 4,180rpm is 38% of the max rpm speed what is the max rpm speed?

Q2)Determine the number of revolutions a gear completes in 30 seconds when
the gear turns at 100 revolutions per min

2. The attempt at a solution

Q1) Alright for this part, I was pretty confuse when they asked for the max rpm speed and the given percentage. Do I have to convert the percentage to a decimal and then convert it to rads? What do they also mean by the maxrpm speed?
If I'm not mistaken, rpm is a measure of frequency right? Does that mean f=4,180rpm? In other words do I just put it in the frequency formula or should I divide it by 2∏ then put it in the frequency formula? ω=2∏f But then again it can't be ω because they're asking for speed not velocity. I could use f=1/T but they didn't give me the time. ARGH! I'm so confused!

Q2)Alright 1 revolution is equal to 60s or 2∏ right? (correct me if I'm wrong). So by using this formula, f=1/T making T=30s and well now I'm stuck

Note:Q1 and Q2 are different problems/questions

Physics news on Phys.org
1) if 4180 = 38%, what is equal to 100%?

2) T is not 30s, T is the time it takes for the gear to complete 1 rev.

Xisune said:
1) if 4180 = 38%, what is equal to 100%?

4180 = 38%
110 = 1%
11000 = 100%?

Would that be correct?

Xisune said:
2) T is not 30s, T is the time it takes for the gear to complete 1 rev.

Alright so 1 rev is = 2∏ right? So, well, not sure what to do after that. I'm completely lost. Sorry about that :frown:

Does the 2∏ have to be divided by 100 or something?

What is the purpose of solving 2 RPM problems?

The purpose of solving 2 RPM (Ravens Progressive Matrices) problems is to measure a person's fluid intelligence, which is the ability to think abstractly and solve novel problems. It is often used as a measure of cognitive ability in fields such as psychology, education, and neuroscience.

What are the types of problems included in 2 RPM?

There are two types of problems included in 2 RPM: Q1 and Q2. Q1 involves identifying a pattern within a series of matrices and selecting the correct image to complete the pattern. Q2 involves identifying a rule for transforming the first matrix in a series into the second matrix, and then using that rule to select the correct image to complete the third matrix.

How are 2 RPM problems scored?

Each problem in 2 RPM is worth one point, and the total score is the number of problems answered correctly. There is no partial credit given, so each answer must be completely correct in order to receive a point.

What is a good score on 2 RPM?

A good score on 2 RPM will vary depending on the age and education level of the person taking the test. Generally, a score of 90% or above can be considered a good score, indicating a high level of fluid intelligence. However, it is important to keep in mind that 2 RPM is just one measure of cognitive ability and should not be used as the sole indicator of intelligence.

How can I improve my performance on 2 RPM?

Practicing with similar problems and familiarizing yourself with different patterns and rules can help improve your performance on 2 RPM. Additionally, making sure you are well-rested and in a focused state of mind can also contribute to better performance. It is also important to note that while fluid intelligence is partially innate, it can also be improved with practice and training.