1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Rpm problems

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q1) If 4,180rpm is 38% of the max rpm speed what is the max rpm speed?

Q2)Determine the number of revolutions a gear completes in 30 seconds when
    the gear turns at 100 revolutions per min

2. The attempt at a solution

Q1) Alright for this part, I was pretty confuse when they asked for the max rpm speed and the given percentage. Do I have to convert the percentage to a decimal and then convert it to rads? What do they also mean by the maxrpm speed?
    If I'm not mistaken, rpm is a measure of frequency right? Does that mean f=4,180rpm? In other words do I just put it in the frequency formula or should I divide it by 2∏ then put it in the frequency formula? ω=2∏f But then again it can't be ω because they're asking for speed not velocity. I could use f=1/T but they didn't give me the time. ARGH! I'm so confused!

Q2)Alright 1 revolution is equal to 60s or 2∏ right? (correct me if I'm wrong). So by using this formula, f=1/T making T=30s and well now I'm stuck

Note:Q1 and Q2 are different problems/questions

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2
    1) if 4180 = 38%, what is equal to 100%?

2) T is not 30s, T is the time it takes for the gear to complete 1 rev.

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    4180 = 38%
    110 = 1%
    11000 = 100%?

Would that be correct?

Alright so 1 rev is = 2∏ right? So, well, not sure what to do after that. I'm completely lost. Sorry about that :frown:

Does the 2∏ have to be divided by 100 or something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook