1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two scales and three blocks

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The weightless horizontal bar in the figure below is in equilibrium. Scale B reads 4.20 kg. The distances in the figure (which is not to scale) are: D1 = 7.5 cm, D2 = 6.0 cm, and D3 = 5.0 cm. The mass of block X is 0.97 kg and the mass of block Y is 1.89 kg. Determine what the reading on scale A must be.

Determine the unspecified mass of block Z.

Here is the diagram:

http://loncapa1.fsu.edu/enc/55/f90d...c013bd229ecc68ff61138f64532270835a981530.gif"

2. Relevant equations

Not sure..

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure where to even begin...Please help me solve this problem

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2
    I doubt anyone can help you unless you either upload a stetch of the figure mentioned in the question or type in a diagram using your keyboard.

But from the question I reckon the problem is a bar sitting with two scales on either end. These sorts of problems involve bending moments. Just remember that since the bar is in equilibrium (no net forces acting upon it), the sum of all forces must be 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook