What is the optimal radius for stability in a system of two semicircles?

• Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date
In summary: Is it a consequence of my homework?P.S. If I understand correctly, it is easier for you to solve this problem, because you are a mathematician? I don't know anything about mathematics. Maybe you can help me with this too?In summary, the system must be stable in order for oscillations to occur. If the upper semicircle is displaced from the initial position, the forces (or torques) acting on the semicircle will cause it to oscillate back towards the initial position.
Numeriprimi
Yesterday I was at the Physics Olympiad. For one example I didn't do. I am ashamed! :-( And I want to know how to do it. Please help. It is like complicated homework, so I give it here.

We have two semicircles (as pictured) - http://fykos.cz/rocnik26/obrazky/s5u3_zadani.png

The lower semicircle has a radius r, the upper semicircle has a radius R. r is constant. The system must be stable. What must be R? How to determine R? If we shifted the upper semicircle, with which period will oscillate?

Thanks for your ideas. And sorry for my bad English.

Numeriprimi

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Please show some attempt at a solution (or at least state some general ideas that you think would help solve this problem).

A stable system must be characterized by the fact that even after a few oscillations must return to the same position. The upper semicircle can not be too big - large oscillations and fell. Equally can not too small. Some golden middle... I think about it still and if I thought something better yesterday, I didn't ask about it :-(

Stable equilibrium means that if you displace the upper semicircle a small amount from the initial position and let it go, then the forces (or torques) acting on the semicircle will cause the semicircle to move back toward the initial position.

Hmmm, vela, thanks for infraction... :-( However, I'm fifteen years, I know just the basics of oscillation and I can not know any great procedure ... And that is why I am asking here, in English - it is really hard for me! In my country isn't a physics forum. Tasks at school and competitions of physics are a big difference! So, explain it to me that someone? When I got negative points?

1. What is a semicircle?

A semicircle is a two-dimensional shape that is formed by cutting a full circle in half, resulting in a half-circle shape.

2. How is a semicircle different from a circle?

A semicircle is only half of a circle, while a circle is a complete, round shape.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a semicircle?

The formula for finding the area of a semicircle is A = (π * r^2)/2, where r is the radius of the semicircle.

4. How do you find the perimeter of a semicircle?

The perimeter of a semicircle can be found by adding the length of the curved edge (half the circumference of the full circle) to the diameter of the semicircle. The formula for this is P = π * r + 2r, where r is the radius of the semicircle.

5. Can a semicircle be used to create a perfect dome or arch?

Yes, a semicircle can be used to create a perfect dome or arch. In fact, many structures such as bridges and buildings use semicircles in their design to create a strong and stable shape.